About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 33685 views.
Suzy2018

Mar-12

Hi Katie,

I just realised that I didn't even mention any of the really important things, like sisters and daughters!  Please forgive me - I'm on Day 5 and so wrapped up in my own stuff that it's almost repulsive (at least till I remember that it really is all about MEEEEEEEEE.  After that I'm fine, obvs relaxed).

It's lovely to hear about your daughter too, and I can completely see how a little 'bless you' can melt your heart.  Just be careful with the slammon and the champagne and you'll be fine, I know!  Joking apart, I think it's really important to teach our children to enjoy things, especially now - pleasure is not a dirty word, and neither is laziness, sometimes - we just need to listen to what our bodies are telling us.

I've just said that like I know what I'm doing, and I don't.   But I do know that my body was telling me not to smoke, and even though it's early days for me, I'm SO glad that I don't do that any more - and you have really, really helped.

Sisters - well, I don't know.  Mine wants me to apologise to her husband but is not prepared to apologise herself for truly terrible things she said to me and Mike (Brexit related). I think I've held out some olive branches, but she thinks differently.  I feel really sad about it, and I really don't know what to do to make it better. Our parents are both dead now so at least that's not an issue, but if they were here I think they would be very sad.

Daughters?  You are truly blessed!  

Talk soon, and thank you for helping - you really, really have. xx

Jatchat

Mar-12

Thanks Suzy, sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it but if you make it through and you will  I have confidence in you you will be that much stronger.

Take care

and stay away from those cigarettes

Regards

Anthony

Nope62

Mar-13

Hi!

I just checking in with you. I hope that everything is still going well! You have a lot to be proud of!

I'm glad to hear that your breathing is improving. And anytime you can get off a medication is good news.

I am about ten weeks into this quit now. I wish I felt better about it. I'm still on the fence, so to speak. I have stopped, but I'm not sure I have quit. I've been told by other ex-smokers that there will come a time when I will know I have quit. I'm just waiting for that time! I've promised myself that I will shout it to the world the day I know. I'll just keep on not smoking for now.

Good Luck to You!

• Edited March 13, 2021 12:18 am  by  Nope62
Nope62

Mar-13

Great Plan! I understand what you mean about the hand to mouth thing.

I wanted to tell you that I have a message on a kitchen cabinet just above where I used to keep my cigs and a lighter. It says " Would You Rather Smoke or Breath". That's what it has come down to for me! I've really ruined my health by smoking all these years!

Take Care and Keep That Quit Going!

Jatchat

Mar-13

Thanks Nope,

I have made progress but it's early days just yet.

Ten weeks is massive and soon you will have 3 months now that will be something to crow about.

You are doing well and your support is welcome

Take care

Kind regards

Anthony

Suzy2018

Mar-13

Thanks Anthony - things seem a lot better today, thank goodness.  I WILL stay away from those cigarettes.

Hope you have a great smoke-free day.

Suzy2018

Mar-13

I'm going to have to make more space on my wall relaxed - "Would you rather smoke or breathe?" is a great one to focus the mind on why we're doing this.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling the freedom yet, but it WILL come.   Everyone says so (and I remember glimpses of it myself, before I threw my quits away so stupidly).  

And in the meantime, ten weeks of not poisoning yourself is amazing - whatever the state of your health, it's better than it would be if you hadn't quit.  

You take care too.  

KatieKat84

Mar-13

Hi Suzy,

Thanks for your messages. And please feel free to obsess about your quit until the cows come home! Not that you do, but honestly whatever it takes to keep that quit going. It is all about YOUUUU! :)

I’m sorry you had a hard time sleeping and were worrying about your son - what are your worries, if you can share? Don’t worry that you feel you would have smoked if you could get the tobacco. The only thing that matters is you DIDN’T smoke and got through the day. Some days it really is about ‘hanging on’, just somehow getting through that day. How was it today?

Are there other things you find helpful to relieve stress?

I’m sorry to hear about your falling out with your sister. That sounds very painful and so difficult to find a way through. I totally know the feeling too. I’m realising with my sister that we’ve never found a way to argue/disagree constructively - it’s always so upsetting and recriminative. It’s amazing how family can press our buttons isn’t it... I’m sorry your parents aren’t alive anymore and you think this would make them sad. But in the end we all have to live our lives and be true to ourselves. Hopefully we can both find a way to relate to our sisters again in time.

Re teaching our children it’s ok to relax - it’s like you read my mind! It was always frowned upon to be ‘idle’ when I was growing up but why should we feel guilty about a pyjama day if that’s what we need. It’s all part of self-care and self-love. We recently got my daughter a little arm chair and she likes to lean back on it and go ‘Ahhh’ like I do when I’m relaxing on the sofa.

Ooh you’re coming up to 1 week in your quit! Have you got a little treat planned for Monday? I found marking the milestones even in a small way helped to solidify my quit as I went along.

Sorry this feels like a very loooong message so I’ll stop now!

Sending you another hug just because!

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

Jatchat

Mar-13

Thank you Suzy,

I had a video morning with some friends, all non-smokers, safe there, Bought some patches, enough for 28 days, armed for battle.

It's raining here we had a cracker of a storm last night, I veged out in front of the TV and watched the Rugby, Wifey and I did food shopping also yesterday, got home in time to get clothes off line before storm.

All pretty mundane here, not smoking though as I head into 3rd week.

Glad to hear you got through your cravings keep up the good work Suzy

Anthony

KatieKat84

Mar-13

Hey Anthony,

Just wanted to say it’s great to hear how well you’re doing on your quit. Sounds like you’ve got some proper momentum going there. Keep on going :)

Katie

4th March 2017