About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 30826 views.
Glammy2016

Feb-26

Suzy Q ! It's butirflis September  stompers 2010 then again in 2018 2019 and now.  I'll have 7 weeks mon. It's not how many times we fall It's how we get back up right. Shame kept me away from here for to long. I'm glad to see you I was looking for you for a long time. 

Jatchat

Feb-28

Too true, about getting knocked down and getting back up again, I practice that a lot, I have a definite tendency to romance the cigarette, Time to stop that nonsense. Day 3 and marching into day 4.

In reply toRe: msg 43
Suzy2018

Feb-28

Hi everyone, and sorry for not replying individually.   I will do properly when I come back (new quit date planned for Thursday) but I fell off the wagon, felt too embarrassed and pathetic to admit it, and now the day has run away with me and I'm rushing round like a mad thing trying to get ready for work tomorrow - 5am start.

Just in case you were wondering, the cigarettes taste horrible so don't even think about it.  Stay strong, and see you soon.

Suzy x

ModSue (VentasSue)

Mar-1

Hi Suzy

Talk about a 'Blast from the Past'.  I just popped in here because it's an age since I've visited the Forum and I need to wish one of Marge's mates and an old-timer from Freedom Marchers 6 years' congratulations for tomorrow.  Wasn't sure whether I would still be accepted but, yes, of course, when has the Forum ever let me down!

Anyway, it's really good to see you here.  You're a silly little madam for thinking that nicotine was still your friend but, seriously, I know how very, very hard it is to completely free ourselves from it's clutches.  Thank goodness you still have the common sense to come here.  I always felt you were one of us 'survivors' and that you would quit.  I still feel you are so keep trying and use the Forum like I did for the first couple of years.  Boy,  I couldn't go a day without checking in and letting off steam.

Now I shall boast - I'm over five years smoke-free now.  I cannot believe how I've changed during those five years and I love the 'new' me.  My confidence and honesty - both with myself and with others - has grown in leaps and bounds.  Hubby had a heck of a job getting used to the way I am now as I tend to always say exactly how I feel and what a want.  Luckily, he's an easy-going bloke and is fine with it now and so pleased I'm a non-smoker like him. Our relationship is good.  

I'm also still great mates with Marge and we email regularly.  It's strange as I've never met her face to face but we are such good buddies.  Also Anita, in London, whom I did meet when we visited from Spain a few years back and, of course, Triff from New Zealand.  Anyway, you may remember what a waffler I am so I'll shut up but pop back in tomorrow to send the aforementioned congrats.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Nothing is worth smoking for - believe me.   If I can do this - you certainly can.  Lovely to see you here.

Sue

In reply toRe: msg 45
Jatchat

Mar-3

Hi Feb Quitters,

By way of introduction, I have been posting to this site now for so long I can't remember when I started, before it changed over to Delphi Forums, I am 71 years of age  married to the wonderful Jeanie, and have been struggling to latch on to a permanent quit for so long. I was a late starter to smoking and didn't start smoking until I was 30 years old after my divorce, it's strange how I sought comfort from a cigarette, both my parents had smoked when I was a child so I guess I was used to inhaling passively from an early age. I gave up in my 40's for about 6 months, then crazily took it back up again one night at a club where a ZZ Top cover band were playing, a pack of B&H later and I was hooked again, I am using patches and an inhaler this time around and putting in some homework hoping to give my brain ammunition to fight back any craves or urges, I have my reasons posted in front of me at the computer desk along with the statement I Choose Not To Smoke. 

I had some successes last year, 6 weeks or so at a time smoke free, and with my quit smoking counselor have been navigating our way through stormy waters, my counselor has been very supportive providing me with NRT products and wellbeing advice, monitoring my weight, blood sugar, blood pressure, pulse, Carbon Monoxide readings, girth measurements and generally supportive, she is a treasure. 

My wife is a smoker, and is showing no signs of giving up, so there are cigarettes always in the house, a constant temptation, I just stay in my own world and when I join her for a coffee I take my inhaler out side with me, she doesn't smoke in the house.

I use the Quit Line also run by the Cancer Clinic, they have been very helpful in the past with weekly telephone calls and SMS's daily. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Terry and all the Mod's for their input  into the Forum and for their wonderful guidance through out the years, Now it's up to me and forum members to forge a path of new beginnings through to new found freedom and peace. Thank you

• Edited March 3, 2021 1:39 pm  by  Jatchat
Nope62

Mar-3

Thanks for sharing!

We have much in common. I also started using this site when it was called something else. I am 64 but I started smoking much younger than you did, mid teens. I have read your posts over the last year and just like you I have had many stoppages, but I have failed to actually quit. I am 62 days into this quit.

Even with that amount of time not smoking, I'm still not sure about my quit. I have good days and bad days! I work with a doctor from the VA. He is a very nice young man. But he has never smoked. I think that only an ex- smoker really understands this addiction. I use a 14 mg patch. I can't seem to get away from it. May I ask you about the inhaler you are using? Does the nicotine absorb through the tissue in your mouth, or does it go to your lungs? This is one NRT that I have never tried.

Good Luck To You!

Jatchat

Mar-3

Hi Nope62,

Yes, first congratulations on your quit, well done. The inhaler, consists of a cartridge with nicotine, and a holder with a mouthpiece that you place between your lips and draw short sharp breaths into just the mouth cavity, not into your lungs. The cartridges are replaceable when exhausted of nicotine., Hope this helps

KatieKat84

Mar-4

Hi Suzy,

I'm also in the UK. I'm 4 years quit now :-) It took me a few attempts too. Hope this will be your 'forever' quit - honestly you know smoking is a mug's game and doing nothing for you. Good luck!

Katie

4th March 2017

Nope62

Mar-4

Thanks, they are available here in the states, but by prescription only only. If for some reason I fail again I may ask for them. Right now all I have to worry about is getting off these 14 mg patches. I think it is more of a mental thing than it is an actual physical problem. Thanks again for the information and I hope your quit continues to serve you well!

Jatchat

Mar-4

Hi Katie,

Congratulations on your quit of 4 years, that's awesome, As you can see from previous posts , I'm still playing a game with cigarettes, hoping to get serious  this time, I have a op coming up for hip replacement, this is motivating me to stay smoke free at the moment, Take care, hows bub?

Kind regards

Anthony