About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 35324 views.
Suzy2018

3/6/21

Thanks, boylant,

I have read it before, and you're right, it's very helpful.  Time to dust it off and read it again, I think, and thanks for the reminder.  I hope you're still feeling strong?  We absolutely CAN do this!  

Suzy2018

3/6/21

Wow, Butirflis - five grandchildren , that's wonderful.  And thanks for making me smile with your hot mess bracelet!, and for thinking of me.

Suzy2018

3/6/21

Hi Katie, and thanks for your message.   I'm feeling very good about Monday - I am really sick of smoking, and embarrassed to be a smoker.  I am expecting the first few days to be hard going, but I also remember how good it felt to be free. "I am freeing myself" feels like a good mantra, and I'm going to come up with some more over the weekend and print them out.

Why did I start again?  Stupidity, really.  I thought I could control it, and that's what did for me (coupled with alcohol at a party).  I was also still using NRT, so the nicotine monster was very much alive. I'm not sure how to do it this time. Cold turkey would be best, I'm sure, but I've got work on Tuesday where I'll really have to concentrate, so I may use NRT the first two days, then cut it out completely.

It's so good to hear that you don't miss it at all!  I'm really looking forward to getting there.

Yes, we're very close to the sea - 5 minutes' walk - and that's also going to be part of my plan:  a walk on the beach every day, breathing in the fresh sea air instead of poisonous smoke.  Whereabouts in London are you?   I lived there in the 80s - Shepherd's Bush and Walthamstow - and my daughter is in Wimbledon now.  I loved it at the time - nice to feel right there at the hub of things, and always something to do (well, until Covid).  I still love visiting, but I feel like a country bumpkin when I do - the slower pace down here suits me now I'm getting old!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.  It really helps.

Suzy

Suzy2018

3/6/21

Thank you, Loreficent.  It helps to think that it's never too late.  I'm quite sure my junkie brain will be trying to tell me that 'the damage is done, no point in quitting', but I know that's not true.

Dinner was just about all right - it had an unintended barbecue flavour, but I've had worse.

Msg 6450.75 deleted
boylant22

3/6/21

Yes we can and will!!!  You got this!

KatieKat84

3/6/21

Hi Suzy,

Great to hear you’re feeling positive about quitting on Monday. It might not always feel like it but quitting is a wonderful gift you can give yourself. I know that sounds corny but I just mean you won’t be depriving yourself, only your nicotine addiction.

Anyway I’m excited for you! Every day that you don’t smoke is a fantastic achievement.

It’s hard to know what’s best in terms of nrt or not. I’d done a few cold turkey quits but last time I used patches and a nicotine inhalator. I realised doing something with my hands was important for me so the inhalator helped me. I guess it’s just whatever works for you. 

How wonderful to be so close to the sea. I enjoy cold water swimming so I would love to have the option of a sea dip! I live in south London, near Brixton. Luckily right next to a lovely park. I have a 20 month old daughter so we have really appreciated the outdoor space in lockdown. 

Sounds great you are planning a daily walk in the fresh air as part of your quit. I think the more things you have in the toolbox to help you with your quit the better. I did a LOT of crochet haha! 

All the best and look forward to seeing your updates - you can totally do this!

Katie

4th March 2017