About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can’t Ever Let Your Guard Down   Quit Support

Started Feb-3 by gkim; 1608 views.
gkim

Feb-4

I don’t know about you but I really don’t want to lug around an oxygen tank. I think I would feel really pathetic because I knew what smoking would do to me and I couldn’t stop because I enjoyed it too much or that I wasn’t strong enough. If something is hurting me I have to cut it out even if it’s hell at the time. It’s short hell or very long and life threatening hell. 

SusanK1960

Feb-4

Hey Ed, I was wondering how my quit buddy was doing!  I’m sorry to read that you acted on the siren’s song.  I have noticed over the last month I have had more body cues/craving/calls, whatever you might call them.  When the craving hits, I have been snacking, which seems to cool the urge.  What Im saying is that the craving/cue/felling whatever I call it is still occurring and I was used to calming it with a cigarette.  I am thinking that call, that craving, is my body wanting something.  In the old days, that call/craving would be my body saying I want nicotine cause Im running low or because I was bored or because I was driving, etc.  Now when it hits, it is not because I am low on nicotine so I have to stop to wonder what does me really want. Please find a way to avoid the smokes.  Take care and visit more often!

• Edited February 4, 2021 11:37 pm  by  SusanK1960
In reply toRe: msg 9
BroGreg32

Feb-16

gkim said:

I don’t know about you but I really don’t want to lug around an oxygen tank.

Yup there it is..

40 year habit..14 months quit for me and that oxygen tank is the only thing that keeps me away. Nicotine is a great drug.

I'd light one right now if I could. We are a society that thrives on drugs, from the alcohol to the cannabis to the prozac, etc.

First thing I'm doing when I get to heaven is heading for the smoke shop.

You got this gkim.. 

gkim

Feb-17

Greg, thanks for this post. You know, whenever I post here about the oxygen tank, I think about those in this forum who are already using the tank. I wonder if my posts make them feel bad and should I not talk about it. So, I appreciate you responding to me and telling me how you’d smoke if it wasn’t for the tank. Yes, this addiction is so powerful. I’ve seen a commercial of someone smoking through their hole in their neck. That was horrible. But did I quit after seeing that? No. Because in our minds we want to believe things like that happens to other people. How stupid the addiction makes us. 

Gersheps

Mar-2

Hi, Anne,

The last line of your post says it all: "It won't be so easy to quit the next time."  I wish I had known that before I threw away a quit of nearly 6 years. It took almost 40 years of smoking before I was able to  quit, and today is the 6th anniversary of my forever quit.

I have a lot of pride in achievement over that, but I also have Stage 1 Small Cell Lung Cancer.  Play stupid Games, win stupid Prizes!  They caught it early, so after 2 more radiation treatments, I'll be done with it.  There is a very easy way to quit: Imagine that you have only 50% lung capacity and can't walk 50' without gasping for breath because of COPD.  It isn't pleasant.

Steve

Londiann

Mar-3

The thing that I worry about is that continuing to smoke could damage my eyes. My ophthalmologist tells me that smoking can cause AMD, age related macular degeneration. My brother has been a smoker for a long time and he has it in both eyes.  I get angry with myself because I know smoking damages every organ in my body and I know it's such a stupid thing to do. This addiction is SO strong. I've thought about finding someone who does hypnosis to help. I don't really want to use Chantix because I've heard such horrible stories by people who have used it and had a really bad experience.

I quit for a week recently, but there's a pressure that builds up, a psychological and physiological pressure, and eventually, it got to  me and I bought a pack and lit up. I'm in deep trouble with this horrible habit. It's my only vice. Guess it's the same for many of you. I have nicotine patches and don't use them, and I even have the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr. It makes a lot of sense intellectually and emotionally as well, but here I am, still smoking. I want to find something that will just make me NOT WANT to smoke. I feel like I'm an idiot. Help!!

48yrsmokin

Mar-3

Don't feell that way  !!!!!!  Everything you are experienceing I'm going thru again. I quit myself and stopped smoking for 15 months. Didn't think that there would be anymore problems got it beat. boy that creepy dude showes back up again. and I have started haveing 1 here and there. He says awww just have 1 it wouldn't hurt. Well thats wrong!!!!!!!!!!   It scares me to think that all that time spent on quitting is gone with a puff of the white sticks. Like you said" How do yoi get rid of the psychological BOND" it is so heavy????????? I wish you could just turn that switch off and walk out of the room. and leave it all behind.  GIrl if you find that switch let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish you luck on your quest Sorry I don't have the magic wand to say alacazam and everything goe away.    Good luck Londiann. This forumn helps to sort thngs out and encouragement.

Nope62

Mar-4

I am replying to both your and 48yrsmokin's post. I'm going to put a link in here to help you reinforce what you have already read in Alan Carr's Book. I read that book three times and it is a good book, but even after you take in everything that's there, you still have to do the work! There is not magic cure for this addiction. Knowledge is power! Power that will help you to stick to your commitment to never take another puff.

I never felt like a victim where smoking was concerned. I'd always say, " nobody twisted my arm to smoke". After reading Mr. Carr's book and watching these documentaries I feel different about that, and it makes me mad. I'm a 50 yr. smoker, started in my mid teens. I have many health problems because of smoking.  Did the tobacco companies take advantage of my youth and lack of knowledge?  Yes they did!  Did they put chemicals in their products that insured that I would continue to smoke and give them my money? Yes they did!  Did they know that they were addicting me to a slow form of suicide. Yes they did!  All for their profit. 

They are still doing it today with young people in many third world counties.  Because of social and political pressures here they have shifted their method of keeping young people addicted and buying their deadly products by investing in and marketing vaping products. Same poison, different package.

Please take the time to watch these documentaries. They are long, but you can watch them in parts until you have finished. Just maybe they will make you feel a little different, or make you mad enough to be able to stick to your quit!

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/4812-tobacco-wars-documentary-episodes-1-2-3/

Good Luck!

• Edited March 4, 2021 12:36 pm  by  Nope62
Londiann

Mar-4

Thank you for responding to what I wrote.  I definitely will watch the video you sent a link to.  I want to feel differently about smoking and not smoking.  I want to be in the head space of NOT WANTING TO SMOKE.  For me, that's the key.  It's easy not to do something that I don't want to do. I want to get past the 1-week mark of quitting.

Loreficent

Mar-4

Hi Londiann,

Here’s the thing...if we wait to get to the point where we WANT to quit, it’s gonna be a long time smoking yet. There is a part of you that will always want to smoke on some level; it’s the addiction piece in our brains. This small piece takes over a very strong voice when all of your other wiser parts are telling you you want to stop, or when you choose to stop. Early on the struggle with that voice is incessant. And it sucks. There are a million (likely not one less!) “reasons” and rationalizations it has, and it voices them loudly. Someone wrote on here about there being a “switch to flip” and how great it would be if it worked like that. Well...it doesn’t, and it does work like that. Only problem is, when your wiser self flips the switch to off, that smaller addict piece comes along and switches it back on in the form of triggers. Oh, it would be so very grand if it didn’t have the knowledge and way to do that, right? But...it does. Let me tell you...I struggled and fought to find a way to quit without having to rely on willpower to some extent. For a long long time. What finally worked is finding a balance and accepting I am an addict. Yeah...that dirty word again. Accept the addict piece, bring it in to balance with the rest of you, and then decide which parts you want more. There will be a need for willpower, especially early on. But it can’t be ALL willpower as you will never win. Emotion will beat out willpower in the end every time unless you find a way in those moments to WANT to be a non smoker more. That piece of wanting to smoke will still be there. But as you go and make it through the first several days, something magical does happen if you tune in and listen to yourself. Really take note of how after the first few days you really can notice the difference. Of course that addict voice is gonna argue and struggle still. For quite some time. Just don’t let it be the strongest voice in your mind. I’m nattering on and maybe not making sense....the bottom line is...don’t wait for ALL of you to want to stop as that is just not going to happen. It isn’t. That addict does not ever want to stop. Find a way to make other parts of you want to stop more. It is true what Terry says: “If you want to change your life change your mind”. One crave at a time. Each one you conquer, embrace and really feel the empowerment that comes after. The key is just ONE at a time. Start future tripping and you start fueling the addict. 
You’ve got tons of support here your addict doesn’t want you to use. Use your wiser mind to decide.