About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 2/28/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 45913 views.
Suzy2018

3/18/21

Hi Meg, and congratulations on deciding to quit. 

It sounds like you have some great reasons:  wanting to live a long and happy life with your partner, wanting your health and breathing to improve....   Those are both really big, important things.  

I have found it really helpful to print out my reasons and put them on the wall where I can see them.   Most of the time I haven't felt too bad (and have actually enjoyed being smoke free), but if I do have a wobbly five minutes, I look at my reasons and remember why I'm doing this.  Coming on here also helps - a lot.

I've been amazed at how much better my breathing is already (I only quit on 8th March). I was coughing almost constantly and wheezing at night, and they're both gone. 

Hope your quit day went well, but if not, come back - you CAN break free, and the benefits are huge.

Suzy

Suzy2018

3/18/21

Anne2020 said:

Rejoice - you have quit

Love this!   It's so easy to start thinking I'm missing out on something when I really should be rejoicing that I've quit doing that evil, poisonous thing.  Thanks for the reminder.

In reply toRe: msg 75
Lubbercat

3/18/21

Hi everyone.  I was here back in January and the first part of February.......lost that quit again when my husband (a smoker) came home......I really need to quit and I think today will be day 1.  Yesterday and the day before, I only smoked between 1 and 2 a day.  Wanting to go on a vacation in September and I want to feel good for that.  So, I start today on my quit and hopefully by the end of the week, I will be back on my treadmill.

Meg2021

3/18/21

Congrats on your quit, Suzy. And thank you for your kind words. This is day three and I'm already feeling less congested, and every day that passes feels like a big accomplishment, even if I spent most of it binge-watching silly crime procedural shows. So that's something! I wrote a letter to myself about why I wanted to quit and taped it on my fridge. That helps. 

I'm glad your breathing is better, and I look forward to continued improvement, too. Things are looking up! 

• Edited March 18, 2021 5:19 pm  by  Meg2021
Meg2021

3/18/21

You can do it! Just take it a day at a time. And welcome back! You'll be on that treadmill before you know it. 

Nope62

3/19/21

Glad to see that you are back!  I wish you Luck! I hope you can hang onto your quit this time.

Don't feel bad at all about failed quits. Most people don't make it on their first quit. I quit seven times last year alone. I'm just hoping that one will stick eventually.

If you are only smoking 1 or 2 a day, that's torture. Just go ahead and give it up.

Take Care!

Lubbercat

3/19/21

Thank you.  Hoping to get on the treadmill this weekend, it will at least be a distraction!

Lubbercat

3/19/21

Thank you.  I really hope this one sticks.  I started off this year with the attitude that I would not smoke all year, this was going to be my year and yet, here I am quitting again.  

I know doing the 1 or 2 a day is torture, it is the I get mad or restless over stuff at my house and go smoke 1, then I wake up in the morning determined to quit again.  I am going to get this right sooner or later.

On to another day.

oxanquits

3/19/21

Day 8 now. YES, 1 week completed. It's way easier now, but the cravings are unexpected. I feel nothing most of the time and then it hits me, like trying what could work :) Anyway, it's the longest I've been without cigs this year, won't stop heresparkles 

Happy for you keeping your quit too, congrats!

• Edited March 19, 2021 9:52 am  by  oxanquits
In reply toRe: msg 81
BlueDahlia29

3/19/21

Hi everyone. I had quit smoking for 2 years 4 mos and 19 day ( but who's counting right) and last Friday I smoked and also smoked on Weds, Thursday, and 2 this morning. I can see myself becoming addicted again and want to stop right now, I don't want this in my life was way to good without it. I hope you all don't mind me joining you in the March quitters thread, need the support and will give it back too. Wishing all of you success on your journey at whatever stage your at.

Blue