About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New here and just quit    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Mar-14 by Ardraven; 1536 views.
Jatchat

Mar-15

Congratulations on making the decision to quit, the worst bit is over, distraction is good, so is read, an educated quit is a powerful quit aid, read anything you can get your hands on, starting with this site, head for homework for newbies, Terry's link at the start of the March thread. Good luck with your quit

Anne2020

Mar-15

Drink lots of water/fluids as well.  Ice water really helps to quell those craves. 

It's a bit rough the first few days but once you get past that, its all maintenance.  Which is not to say that maintenance isn't work, it is - it's just not the same as the first few days. 

Getting away from that horrible addiction will be one of your personal, proudest accomplishments.  And really, when you think about it, its easy enough.  Just DON'T SMOKE.

They are only cigarettes.  Why should cigarettes have so much control over you.  Little white sticks of addictive drugs corporations put out there, encouraging the public to smoke, glamorizing it, romancing it, all just to make them money.  Think of all the money that would have been better spent if no-one ever smoked.  Good gosh - that's an ocean of money.  

That's your money you are wasting on killing your softly, slowly, and surely.  Not to mention, passing it to your children, and they onto their children.

Talk about corporate control.  

Ardraven

Mar-17

I worked out that my habit cost me over £2000 sterling and rising every year. I'm saving some of it up to rent a dog friendly holiday cottage when the pandemic simmers down as I haven't had a holiday in years and I'd love to get away for a break with my best friend Monty dog!

Ardraven

Mar-17

Nice one. All the best with your quit too

Ardraven

Mar-17

Thank you. My best distraction and one of my big motivations to stay quit is my wonderful little dog. I want to avoid getting too short of breath for the walks he loves and I read a Canadian study that found exercise was more effective than NRT in helping a group of women in early pregnancy to quit, so any time I start to struggle a bit I grab his lead and head out for a walk with the dog!

Jatchat

Mar-17

Yes I use exercise quite a bit, just for general health it is good, let alone for quit smoking, I wish you all the best in your quit journey

Ardraven

Mar-17

Thank you, I know this is my time to quit for good, I am determined and have no mixed feelings whatsoever. There are too many things I want to live long enough to do for me to go back to the habit that was killing me while ruining the quality of the life I had left

Nope62

Mar-17

Welcome! Exercise is a great way to work through a craving.

Good Luck with your quit!

Anne2020

Mar-18

I know right?  The cost is frightening.  If I add it up over the years - a couple hundred thousand dollars (Canadian).  I mean its just.......