About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NRT QUIT   Quit Support

Started Jun-8 by BlueDahlia29; 557 views.
BlueDahlia29

Jun-8

Was wondering if anyone is wanting to get off an NRT. I've quit smoking but still use the nicotine lozenges and would love to quit them to save money. Has anyone had success giving up an NRT or wanting to join me in quitting them? I've tried before and had a total meltdown within 4 hours of being off of them, not even a hundred percent sure this is a great idea but at least I'm thinking about it. 

Loreficent

Jun-8

Hi Blue,

Glad to see you’re still chugging along!

I used NRT. I completely understand the appeal of Cold Turkey as you don’t need to get to where you are now a few months after your last cigarette, that is true. The CT quitters go through it in the first few days and then it settles out some. Still a long road, but, yes nicotine is “out of the system “. Receptors are still there though, and perhaps they begin to shut down sooner and the NRT user still has to go through that. Anyway, I’m babbling about stuff we know about....

For me, smoking was Sooooo mental! I was in love with my smoke for many reasons. I truly felt I had two addictions to break and that is why I chose to use NRT. After several failed CT attempts. I gave myself that time using NRT to be aware of and embrace setting myself free from the mental addiction and knew and kept in my mind I would have to break the physical down the road. Patches were good for this as the step down design was helpful. I knew at the last of my 7mg patches that I wasn’t getting what I had a few months prior with the smokes or stronger patches. Still, that last day of the 7mg was stressful. I had some nicotine gum and had a piece of that a day for a while. Then it faded. I still have a few pieces, four or five I think. Expired, but still in my bag. I even kept a few patches and used one for a few days a couple months after not having any because the situation was desperate for a week or so due to visiting relative joy. But! I did not smoke. And I know now before I will smoke I will have a piece of that stale old gum if desperate. 
We are all different. Cost is a considerable issue. That should be your only concern though in my opinion. If in a week you desperately want a lozenge, it will not be the end of the World if you have one. It will be the end of your quit if you smoke though a d here a pack of smokes costs as much as a small container of lozenges. Maybe just try to look at where you are now as the next step in a natural progression. You know how to stay in one day at a time! Look at you! So strong with that. Do it with this too. I see you came here to talk about it. What a wise thing to do! It also shows you want this quit. You will get over the hump. You have all the tools and wisdom.  Believe in yourself. You did it before and know you were ok, right? Just one day at a time and before you know it you will be 3,4 or 7 days without a lozenge. Look at it like you are through the hardest part; the mental piece. This now? Mostly physical. You got this Blue. Stay close here and stay in the moment. Don’t look back. Nothing to see. (Thank Katie for that one!) You will be so happy and proud of yourself to get to that one year sober also smoke free. 
Hope this helped a bit. I’m super tired and have a foggy mind and feel it wasn’t very connected. 

BlueDahlia29

Jun-8

Thank you so much Loreficent, extremely helpful. Been an hour and a half without, have a strong mint in my mouth and atm I'm fine but I know tomorrow might be rough. I will reach for a lozenge before a cigarette, like you said it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Definitely don't want to go back to smoking or drinking. I wouldn't even quit the lozenges if it wasn't for the cost of them, would save so much if I can stop and that would be so nice. I've pretty much have had nicotine in my system since I was 12 years old, yikes, that's 36 years, it will be amazing when I break free completely.  I really appreciate you taking the time and thoughtfulness to share your experience and advice, truly helpful and nice to know I'm not alone.   

Loreficent

Jun-9

Oh, you’re so welcome Blue. We are just swimming through this primordial soup of life together really, floundering our way. Of course you are not alone. We are all here for you. Worry about tomorrow then. Tonight is a lovely night and I hope you sleep well. In the grand scheme of things, this is not as big a deal as we make it often, but I definitely know those trying moments. They do pass. One moment at a time is all we need. blush

BlueDahlia29

Jun-9

Made it 10 hours, 7 of those was sleeping lol. Next time will shoot for 11 hours.

Lubbercat

Jun-9

Good for you on 10 hours.  

I am now at 13 hours without the cigarette.......

BlueDahlia29

Jun-9

Way to go Lubbercat, that's fantastic!!!

KatieKat84

Jun-9

Hi Blue,

Good for you thinking about coming off the NRT. I used the inhalator a bit at the start of my quit and then patches for about 10 weeks. I had some quit support through my doctor and the person I saw helped me to plan coming off the NRT. The plan really helped me because then it didn’t feel haphazard and dependent on willpower and how I was feeling. It wasn’t set in stone but just a general plan that could be tweaked.

I liked the patches because you just put them on at the start of the day and forget about them, and the different doses makes it easy to taper.

I still get a kick out of not having to worry about packing a little supply of nicotine when I go out. It feels like true freedom!

All best to you,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

KatieKat84

Jun-9

Great stuff Lubbercat! :)

Katie