About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Seven Months-Still wanting to smoke   Quit Support

Started Apr-26 by Marygold73; 3141 views.
Marygold73

Apr-26

I quit seven months ago and I still want a cigarette. 

I have eaten everything in sight and gained weight. 

I wonder now if I should start up now because I am sick of getting fatter from eating. 

The smell of nicotine coming from someone's cigarette is wonderful to me. 

I have been crying on and off because of this (and also my medication for depression is wearing off. I am tapering off my old meds onto new meds).

It doesn't matter that I got ovarian Cancer from smoking, I just want an another cigarette. (I recovered from Ovarian Cancer-Surgery took care of it and didn't need chemo afterwards)

Anne2020

Apr-26

Perhaps a different view of the matter is in order.  Rather thank thinking you have lost something you love, star thinking you have gained something most precious - healthier and longer lifestyle.  Change your point of view.    You have come so far - 7 months is a long, long time to not smoke. Don't loose all that you've gained.  Find a way to rid yourself of the compulsion to smoke.  Exercise is a good distraction and helps with weight gain.  Perhaps a dance class or art classes or other hobby that you've long wanted to check out.  You are a new you - go do non-smoking things and find out just how lucky you are to have gotten this far.  It may be hard today, but it will be easier tomorrow - only if you do not smoke.  Keep going - you will be rewarded with an inner peace that will replace all of the hardship you are experiencing.

Do you feel periods of inner peace now - perhaps when you notice that you have forgotten to think about smoking for a morning, or all day or even a few days.  Build that inner peace.  It will take over and you will be rid of that awful smoking monster.

Try to remember why you decided to quit.  Write down your reasons for quitting and post that somewhere you can look at it often.  Chant your reasons over and over - your new mentra.

It is wonderful to be smoke free. 

And lets face it - nothing worthwhile is easy.

Stay with us Marygold       

MarthaJC

Apr-26

Marygold I'm glad you wrote your post. You have made it 7 months -- you can keep on, one day at a time. Tomorrow it will be 5 months for me, and I have to remind myself never to forget how powerful this addiction is. The addiction is telling you that you're depressed and overweight because you don't smoke. These are lies! You have depression and clearly if you are on meds and switching them up, then you are taking care of yourself. Healthwise, it is better to be overweight than to smoke, however if you are unhappy about your weight, I hope you can convince yourself that increasing your exercise or changing your eating habits is within your power. And in the meantime, it really is better to be carrying extra weight rather than pumping your body full of poison!!  When my addict mind reminds me of the pleasure of lighting up, I have learned to counteract that thought with the memory of how guilty I always felt about smoking after the cigarette was put out. I have to remind myself that I will not be happier, or more relaxed, or less stressed, if I start smoking again. Keep up the good fight, Marygold!

Denim50

Apr-27

Hey Marygold, 

First, big congratulations on 7 months smoke free! tada That's a wonderful achievement! I hope you treat yourself to something special. Celebrating these milestones and rewarding yourself as you reach them is so important. They represent not only how far you've come with your quit but also the strength and commitment it takes to reach them. Seven months really is a terrific accomplishment and you have a lot to be proud of, not only with your quit but within yourself so YAY YOU! 

Quitting is one of the hardest things we can do but it's also one of the best things we can do for ourselves. The beginning is the hardest and the first year can be something of a roller coaster but it really does get better the further along you go and the more you distance yourself from it. So keep going and remind yourself often that YOU CAN DO THIS. Remember that each day smoke free is a day closer to freedom from it. Just try to stay focused on the moment and take it a day at a time. The days will add up just as these seven months have and be proud of the progress you've made. We are all proud of you too.

I'm so glad that you came here to post instead of caving in. Please continue to do so. Anytime  you feel like you might cave into cravings please post three times, three minutes apart. Doing so will give someone here a chance to respond and try to help and it will also give the craving a chance to pass. I see Anne and Martha replied to you. This really is a great place for support during cessation, as we all support and cheer each other on. 

During cessation we go through both the physical withdrawal and the psychological withdrawal. As I said earlier, it takes strength and commitment to quit. Don't feel strong all the time? No one does, we're human, so not even those who have never smoked feel strong all the time but that's another reason having support during cessation is so important. You can do this and we're all here to support you and each other. You're not alone with your quit here. Please continue to join in and reach out. 

I'm going to leave some helpful articles of information here for you, including about weight during cessation since that seems to be one of your concerns. 

You also said, 'It doesn't matter that I got ovarian Cancer from smoking, I just want an another cigarette.' The urge or craving to smoke can be a difficult pull but, as to your statement, it does matter because YOU matter. Quitting is so worth it but more importantly YOU are worth it. I think you know that too and I'm so happy that you posted rather than giving in to it. Please stick with it, you'll be so glad you did. We all wish you the best, both with your quit and for your health going forward. 

Again, congratulations on 7 months smoke free. Also, please post again and let us know how you're doing since your last post. Wishing you the best toward your continued success. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
xvaper

Apr-29

Hi Marygold,

Oh that medication switch is hard, I know it. Don't let it ruin things for you. In a few weeks you will stabilize.

I think that even though you impressively quit for 7 months, you may have not worked on the phycological reasons of why you think you want to smoke, which makes your quit even more impressive. Your addict brain has been working unchallenged all this time and it is trying hard to make you stumble. 

There is a lot in this forum to help with that metal process of letting the idea that we like cigarettes go, and the scientific explanation for that. If you work it in, things will change for you.

It is not you talking when you say "I want a cigarette". It is a part of your brain which has been tricked into consider nicotine as vital for survival as food and drink. Your brain doesn't care what form of intake it gets its fix. It just happened to have come from cigarette for you, so it associates it with the fix it craves.

If Nicotine came in any other way of administration when you started, you would have done that thing no matter what. If nicotine only came in needles I promise you, you would be injecting it. If nicotine came out of and exhaust pipe of a car, you would be standing outside, coffee in hand, sucking on that tailpipe, especially if you would have seen silver screen stars and musicians do it. If i gave you a cigarette, with the same brand/taste you like, but took nicotine out of it, you would throw it out, it would be disgusting to you. Do you lean over the barbecue , or fire pit to inhale the smoke into your lungs? No, because it doesn't have any nicotine in it.  It is really that simple. Just takes practice to internalize it...

48yrsmokin

May-23

Man Isaid Nope  to the smokes back Sept 2021. And can't shake the urge. either it's like it just follows u around. They keep saying to change my mind. Well i've tried that and it's not happening for some reason. So I just keep telling myself I'll never go back to the starting Quit. I've done it before. The 1 smoke my mind says to have It'll be alright. ####. The 1 gets you back in. and started . Found that out after a 1 1/2 year quit. So my mind keeps up the relentless persuit. Just have 1.   I Keep saying NO and get buy. The persuits are hard at times. So I keep my crutch of mini Lozenges. Seems to help. Flip 1 in the moutn let it dissolve slowly. It's not a everyday thing. But it helps. Good luck. Just DON"Ttake the 1. It'll get you. 

JavaNY

May-23

Stay strong Marygold. You would regret returning to smoking after the first cig.  Try modifying your diet with more nutritional snacks. 

Let us know how you are doing.

Anne2020

May-26

If that's what it takes to stay away from those awful cancer sticks, then do it. One lozenge every once in awhile is much better than the thousands of cigarettes that follow the 1.    

Look at it this way - if you smoke, the cigarettes WON.  One is not one, it is WON.  The smokes WON.  Don't go there.  Do not even allow yourself to think about it.  Relish your achievement. You are a non-smoker.  You have WON the battle for your healthy lifestyle.  Maybe the thought of smoking will haunt you from time to time for the rest of your life.  Consider it a reminder of your VICTORY.   

Well done.  You are a champion.  You are the master of your domain.How Sweet It Is Bouquet

MarthaJC

May-29

Anne I thank you for this post - it is exactly what I needed to read and get in my brain! Yesterday marked 6 months quit for me -- and I had the strongest craving/struggle since I quit. My brother is in town visiting, and he smokes only a few cigarettes a day. We were sitting on my deck (my favorite smoking place) enjoying beautiful weather, and he lit up. I couldn't stop thinking about smoking after that. The "nicodemon" told me that if my brother can smoke a few a day, so can I. And it told me I will spend the rest of my life struggling with the anguish of cravings. And it reminded me of how lovely it would be to enjoy a cigarette.  Well -- it is now the morning after yesterday, and I am on my nice deck feeling extremely grateful that I did not succomb to the lies of the addiction.  I really, really love the idea of knowing I won a life and death battle ... and challenging the "you'll never stop having cravings" threat with the knowledge that if I do have a craving, I can think of it as evidence of victory! Yes.  Thanks Anne.

SusanK1960

May-29

Good for you Martha!  You have every reason to feel victorious!