About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1again!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-5 by Devildog2147; 7491 views.
JavaNY

May-6

Welcome Devildog,

As Andrew said, there's no right or wrong way to post. It's helpful if you have questions, or just to get something off your chest. Good to read what other people are experiencing also.

Paul

SusanK1960

May-6

Welcome dd!  This forum made a difference for me in how to quit smoking over 2.5 years ago.  I read a lot from this forum and very well mind.  I found drinking ice water thru a straw helped me. I also found reading Alan Carr helped guide me into a mindset that I needed. I have attached the link below.

http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

Jerthie123

May-10

Andrew....

You've got a lot of heart.  Thank you for being so transparent and honest.  Staying quit is the real challenge, as you said.  I am still using lozenges.  It's embarassing at times for me to post here.  Everyone is so valiant, and I am just not trying hard enough.  But you go!  You are always winning as long as you are trying, and like I said, you have got a lot of heart!  Hang in there champ!

Jerthie

Jerthie123

May-11

You are taking a great step towards quitting smoking by posting on this forum.  Like Andrew said... There is no right or wrong way to post.  We all fall short of success and motivation to quit at times... And that is why this forum is here!  To encourage, uplift and EDUCATE.  I am far from being quit with nicotine lozenges.  Ughhhhh.  I did have a successful 9 weeks quit from early January to mid March, but with 2 major transitions in my personal life and professional life, I started sucking on the lozenges again.  Do I want to quit?  Absolutely!  I fool myself by thinking and believing that 2 or 3 a day won't matter and that they are not cigarettes.... They are lozenges.  But you know what.  It's a lie!  Lozenges are still nicotine.  And sucking on 6 a day everyday is still a deadly addiction.  So will I attempt another quit?  You bet.  Okay folks.... As of tomorrow.... I know this is CRAZY but I am just going at it cold turkey TOMORROW. I will keep you all posted.  Wish me luck!!!

candrew

May-13

Jerthie.

If you are embarassed I am 100x more than you. We are all weaklings to this addiction. I have started and stopped at least 6 times since the first of the year. I thought I had a grip on this monster. No, it has me by the proveriable ba**s. I know how to talk the talk but I don't walk the walk. And on it goes.

I bought some NRT for my next quit. Didn't think I needed it but I have come to the conculsion that I am not as strong as I thought. I'll try again before the end of the month. the sooner the better. This is a game that I play with myself, deferring my date gives me a false sense of control over my smoking. I have no control. I can't wait to light another and another until "D-day". 

Tonight my new goal is to make a commitment to "D-day", the day I intend to quit. There are only 17 days left in the month. How about in 7 days? That puts me out to next Friday the 20th. Long before the month ends.

Will someone check in with me on Thursday the 19th to see how I'm doing? I need some accountability. Thanks.

Good Day,

Andrew

Loreficent

May-14

It’s on my calendar Andrew. 
I used the parches when I quit. Not a sign of weakness in my opinion. Every person’s journey is different. There is no doubt that the addiction to nicotine has an inextricable link between mental and physical addiction. The brain chemistry and it’s play on the physical body, well I could never quite define if it was a mental piece or physical. Combination of the two I think. Anyway, in my mind I could almost separate the two and I decided to feed the more physical aspect with my patch whilst abstaining from smoking because I felt it gave me a little stronger stance on staying committed to not lighting up. For me, it took the edge of considerably. Made me feel a bit empowered that I could still get a crave and kind of step back from it and watch the mental piece because the physical part seemed tolerable. I will say I also set out for a longer course on them. Like two weeks longer each step of the patch. A couple of weeks in I noticed that I was definitely having a lot less urge to smoke. 
Anyway…I’ll check in with you on the 19th

candrew

May-15

Thanks for your support on my "D-day"

My strategy is to use the 21mg patches for 28 days and then go cold turkey. Stepping down seems like a way to tease my addiction longer than  I need to. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy and feel that I would need to cut my smoking off abruptly after the  28 day challenge. 

My new quit date is Friday May 19, 2022 

I invite anyone reading this post to send me a message of encourgement on my "D-day". I need all the attention I can get. Thanks to all of you who have responded to me this year. I love reading your posts and look forward to future support in our journey to a smoke free life. 

Six days to freedom.

Good Day,

Andrew

Loreficent

May-15

Forgot to ask what time zone you are in? I’m in the Pacific time zone. 

candrew

May-15

Eastern - Like New York

In reply toRe: msg 9
xvaper

May-15

Hi CandrewDevildog2147,

Congratulations for deciding to give it a go. You have nothing to lose and its free! Like Lori said, there is no size fits all. 

I quit cold turkey 10.5 months ago. For me, apart from the support from the people here without which I would not have made it, the educational material I found here is eye-opening.  Understanding the chemistry and the brain and how this fosters addiction helped me a lot, but it takes many reading and rereading to let it sink in and not let your addict brain to suppress this information, since that's is its job, to keep the supply coming. Re-reading/watching is the key.

I recommend starting here :https://whyquit.com/ffn/

this a free ebook but this site has so much more video and reading material.