About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1again!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-5 by Devildog2147; 7986 views.
Jerthie123

May-11

You are taking a great step towards quitting smoking by posting on this forum.  Like Andrew said... There is no right or wrong way to post.  We all fall short of success and motivation to quit at times... And that is why this forum is here!  To encourage, uplift and EDUCATE.  I am far from being quit with nicotine lozenges.  Ughhhhh.  I did have a successful 9 weeks quit from early January to mid March, but with 2 major transitions in my personal life and professional life, I started sucking on the lozenges again.  Do I want to quit?  Absolutely!  I fool myself by thinking and believing that 2 or 3 a day won't matter and that they are not cigarettes.... They are lozenges.  But you know what.  It's a lie!  Lozenges are still nicotine.  And sucking on 6 a day everyday is still a deadly addiction.  So will I attempt another quit?  You bet.  Okay folks.... As of tomorrow.... I know this is CRAZY but I am just going at it cold turkey TOMORROW. I will keep you all posted.  Wish me luck!!!

candrew

May-13

Jerthie.

If you are embarassed I am 100x more than you. We are all weaklings to this addiction. I have started and stopped at least 6 times since the first of the year. I thought I had a grip on this monster. No, it has me by the proveriable ba**s. I know how to talk the talk but I don't walk the walk. And on it goes.

I bought some NRT for my next quit. Didn't think I needed it but I have come to the conculsion that I am not as strong as I thought. I'll try again before the end of the month. the sooner the better. This is a game that I play with myself, deferring my date gives me a false sense of control over my smoking. I have no control. I can't wait to light another and another until "D-day". 

Tonight my new goal is to make a commitment to "D-day", the day I intend to quit. There are only 17 days left in the month. How about in 7 days? That puts me out to next Friday the 20th. Long before the month ends.

Will someone check in with me on Thursday the 19th to see how I'm doing? I need some accountability. Thanks.

Good Day,

Andrew

Loreficent

May-14

It’s on my calendar Andrew. 
I used the parches when I quit. Not a sign of weakness in my opinion. Every person’s journey is different. There is no doubt that the addiction to nicotine has an inextricable link between mental and physical addiction. The brain chemistry and it’s play on the physical body, well I could never quite define if it was a mental piece or physical. Combination of the two I think. Anyway, in my mind I could almost separate the two and I decided to feed the more physical aspect with my patch whilst abstaining from smoking because I felt it gave me a little stronger stance on staying committed to not lighting up. For me, it took the edge of considerably. Made me feel a bit empowered that I could still get a crave and kind of step back from it and watch the mental piece because the physical part seemed tolerable. I will say I also set out for a longer course on them. Like two weeks longer each step of the patch. A couple of weeks in I noticed that I was definitely having a lot less urge to smoke. 
Anyway…I’ll check in with you on the 19th

candrew

May-15

Thanks for your support on my "D-day"

My strategy is to use the 21mg patches for 28 days and then go cold turkey. Stepping down seems like a way to tease my addiction longer than  I need to. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy and feel that I would need to cut my smoking off abruptly after the  28 day challenge. 

My new quit date is Friday May 19, 2022 

I invite anyone reading this post to send me a message of encourgement on my "D-day". I need all the attention I can get. Thanks to all of you who have responded to me this year. I love reading your posts and look forward to future support in our journey to a smoke free life. 

Six days to freedom.

Good Day,

Andrew

Loreficent

May-15

Forgot to ask what time zone you are in? I’m in the Pacific time zone. 

candrew

May-15

Eastern - Like New York

In reply toRe: msg 9
xvaper

May-15

Hi CandrewDevildog2147,

Congratulations for deciding to give it a go. You have nothing to lose and its free! Like Lori said, there is no size fits all. 

I quit cold turkey 10.5 months ago. For me, apart from the support from the people here without which I would not have made it, the educational material I found here is eye-opening.  Understanding the chemistry and the brain and how this fosters addiction helped me a lot, but it takes many reading and rereading to let it sink in and not let your addict brain to suppress this information, since that's is its job, to keep the supply coming. Re-reading/watching is the key.

I recommend starting here :https://whyquit.com/ffn/

this a free ebook but this site has so much more video and reading material.

MarthaJC

May-18

I won't be able to post tomorrow or Friday so I'm posting today. I quit smoking cold turkey a bit over 5 months ago, when I came down with Covid. The end of a habit I picked up in the early 1970's -- with periods of quitting along the way. It's different this time, I think because my involvement with this forum has resulted in me acknowledging the power of this addiction. Yes I've always known that nicotine is addictive, but I really didn't think one puff was off the table. So for me, the only way to keep this quit going is to do like recovering alcoholics do, and simply not smoke today. I don't need to ponder a life without smoking, I don't need to play mind games with myself about it, I actually can choose to think about other, positive things. I'm not smoking today, and my heart and lungs are sure happy about it. I wish you all the best!!

In reply toRe: msg 9
candrew

May-19

Well, its May 9th and this is my last day  of smoking per my agreement that I made 2 weeks ago. 

Forty years is a long time. My relationship with nicotine has been never ending except for a few brief periods of quitting. I never thought that I would still be lighting up this long, oh how the time passes so quickly as I age. It only seems like yesterday that I smoked my first  cig. I was so brainwashed that I never felt that it was a bad thing. But through the years I realized that I couldn't just quit, that I had to have my fix daily to feel normal. 

I grew up in the 60's and 70's when the mindset was "If it feels good, do it". Smoking was my expression of that attitude. I was a proud smoker and nobody could tell me any different. Fast forward to the 2000's. Smoking is no longer acceptable yet I continue to do it for what reason? The reason is that I am simply a weak addict feeding an insasible appetite for my drug of choice. No better or worse that the common herion addict who lives for the their next fix to avoid impending withdrawl. 

All the reasons that we think that we smoke take a back seat to the real and singlemost factor called nicotine withdrawl. All of us have run out of cigerettes only to find a way to replenish our supply as soon as possible. Above and beyond anything else we may be doing, getting more of the drug is the priority.

Sound familar? No matter how much time we waste, money we spend, risk our health, smoking dominates every facet of our lives. Crazy, yes! But we continue to live this insanity each and every day.

Tommorow is my commitment to ending the insanity.

Good day to all.

N.O.P.E. for tomorrow.

Andrew

In reply toRe: msg 14
candrew

May-19

Spelling correction for message 14

Thanks,

Andrew