About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Another attempt   General Chit-Chat

Started Jul-18 by Bobcatsmkfr; 1334 views.
Bobcatsmkfr

Jul-18

I've been a nicotine addict sine the age of 18. Tried everything.. patch, gum, support lines.. now we are here. Wish me luck. My greatest worry is anger and impatience towards those I love. Should I isolate for a month or two? Break all connection (temporarily) with those I love? 

Denim50

Jul-18

Hey Bobcatssmfr, 

Welcome to the forum. We're happy to have you join us. Congratulations to you on your decision to quit smoking. 

Cessation can sometimes cause anxiety and irritability, that's true. Also, I can actually relate to to your concern because I remember a little bit after I joined when I posted about feeling antsy, as though I had nervous energy, and I got short (sharp spoken) unintentionally with a few people and actually made more than one apology. In fact this is a portion of a message that I posted here in 2018.

'...I’ve recently been told that sometimes lately I’ve came across on occasion sounding a bit short or grumpy. I apologized. I certainly don’t mean to sound that way with anyone. Actually I didn’t realize I was being that way. If I sounded that way I think it may be because of nerves during this quit, but I’m trying to watch my tone more now. Any ideas about this? Thanks.'

So as you can see you're not alone. To answer your question though, no I wouldn't recommend breaking all connections, nor should you have to but that decision is entirely yours to make. What I would recommend though is that you read the article I'm leaving here for you and that you continue to do just as you have here. That is to read, post, and join in. Cessation isn't easy but it is doable and it's so worth it. 

There are wonderful quit-buddies here to offer support and even some games to help distract you. There's the helpful and informative 'Quit Smoking Library' toward the bottom of the menu. Also toward the bottom of the menu is the 'Quit Stories and Journals' thread should you want to keep a journal here. At the 'Inspiration and Encouragement' thread, located under 'Quit Support' in the menu, you can look through it and find inspiring quotes and/or simple words of encouragement about everything from quitting smoking to life in general. You can also post most anywhere on the forum and most members do. I would also recommend joining the 'July 2022 Ex-Smokers' group thread. Though forum quit-buddies post pretty much all over the forum, having a home base just provides a bit of added support by also providing you with quit-buddies who quit at or near the same time as yourself and are often experiencing many of the same things, by being at or near the same stage of cessation. We all support and cheer each other on. So, read, post, join in, and reach out. As I said, we're glad you're here.

Have you already quit or have you picked a quit date? Are you still using NRTs or quitting cold turkey? Providing this information will help us to support you better. It will also help us to provide you with some of the best information for your quit that we can. Thank you.

Best wishes to you as you start your new smoke free journey. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

strong1977

Jul-26

no do not isolate yourself from your loved ones, but i would suggest that you stay away from other smokers until you get a handle on this because it is important that you keep your quit, and remember if you fail you get right back up and try again, I have ten years in without smoking, this forum has helped me, and also drinking cold water with ice took the cravings away, plus keeping very busy helped me to, so if i can do this and i smoked three packs of smokes a day then you can do this, i am here to give you hope.

if you need to add me as a friend and message me when your in need of a chat, i will be there for you to get you thru this 

Liz 

ten years smoke free 

In reply toRe: msg 2
tonypfan

Aug-17

HAPPY ONE MONTH BIRTHDAY TO MYSELF!!!  And many thanks to all the members of the Delphi Forum.  I cannot believe that one month has gone by.  My Quit date is July 17th.  I am Impressed with how good I feel.  So much more relaxed than ever I thought I could feel without cigarettes.  I see now that smoking actually made me more nervous and tense.  I no longer frequently think about my next cigarette:  when and where.  Will I smell afterwards?  Will people close to me find out that I am a secret smoker?  Unbelievable but true.  

In all ways I am getting better and better.  I take nothing for granted.  I must continue to guard my thoughts.  No more romancing a cigarette.  Never again.  When I feel a craving come one, it is time to read forum posts.  Then I feel fortified and back in the saddle.  As my patron saint, Saint Anthony of the Desert used to say 1700 years ago:  EVERYDAY I SAY TO MYSELF, TODAY I WILL BEGIN.    This is awesome advice.  

Anne2020

Aug-18

WELL DONE - you are on the road to a non smoking lifestyle which I think you will absolutely love.  I smoked for year and years thinking I could never quit and here I am, 2 years 8 months.  Keep building your path one cobble at a time and enjoy your walk through to life.  Don't let anything every take you backwards. Whenever you get a crave wave, No matter what, remember there is always something else you can do besides smoke and, a couple of minutes the wave will pass you by and you will have crafted another cobble to add to your path.

You will never regret not smoking!     

Loreficent

Aug-19

Yesss!!! Happy One Month Birthday Anthony! 
Im sorry I missed it yesterday. I think I’m officially on “Island Time”, lol.

Its so nice to read the things you are noticing already! It’s amazing right? That awareness of how much more nervous, tense, and anxious we were as smokers is incredible. It’s hard to believe before you take that final step and actually stop that the reward will be being more relaxed. We spend so much time wanting to quit and being afraid to quit, it’s so ridiculous. I remember writing something about time when I first quit. Something about being in a race with Father Time. I’ll have to see if I can find some of the things I wrote on here back then and read them again. Will be interesting to read from this perspective maybe. 

I think you are in Seattle now…? How was the Opera? Oh, and I read somewhere that PDX may get glimpses of the Aurora Borealis this week. I wonder if Seattle might to? Of course one has to get out of the city to be able to. They were commonly seen where I grew up and I have some incredible images etched upon my heart of them. I do want to get up to Alaska someday for them. 
Let’s see…I’ve seen sea turtles and some lovely fish here. Oh and these little lizards that are hilarious. Not Geckos. These are called Brown Anole. Very funny little creatures! 

Let me know Seattle is doing, and of course how you are as well!

Congratulations!!!

grinningclapboomdizzyrainbowhibiscussunny

Rassister

Aug-20

Congratulations on one month smoke free!  YES YOU DID IT AND WILL DO IT AGAIN.  I have not met you before but it sounds like I used the forum much like you to quit smoking after forty years and several attempts.  The forum and my buddies were my new addiction.  Instead of looking for a cigarette, I sat down at my computer and found articles, friends, posts, puzzles, announcements etc until it is was time for me to go to work or go to bed.  I did this for the first six or seven months.  By then I knew how to schedule may days so that I did not come in contact with any smokers.  The first time that I walked through a cloud of smoke (people smoking in a doorway etc) I gagged and my nostrils were on fire from the smell.  That was a huge clue that I was not going back no matter what.  Its has been 4.5 years this month being a non-smoker and it is absolutely the best taste of freedom in the world.  Carry on! You've got this and you will always find a distraction if you stay connected to this forum.  

Marilyn 

March Warriors 2018

tonypfan

Aug-20

Marilyn:  How excellent for you that you have 4.5 years already.  What an awesome accomplishment.  Yes, for me it’s personal posts like yours and others on this forum that keep me smoke free.  I wish I could say I am doing it on my own but the truth is I NEED this forum to maintain my motivation to quit.  Every post I read reinforces my reasons to quit.

I quit because the whole smoking trap was not only interfering with my life style but it was truly suffocating the life out of me.  I lived to smoke, it seems.  Can you believe that?  I am free now and I relish my freedom from nicotine slavery more than anything.  For me to go back to smoking would be a certain slow death.  I love how I feel.  And I am determined to remain smoke free one day at a time.  Thanks again for your good wishes.  Anthony

tonypfan

Aug-20

Thank you, Anne:  I like how you wrote “one cobble at a time”, for that’s the way I look at it.  Each time I resist the crave I am adding and other cobblestone on my yellow brick road to freedom and good health.  You are absolutely correct in writing we will never regret not smoking.  Anthony

tonypfan

Aug-20

Good morning, Lore:  Your posts are always so full of wisdom.  I look forward to reading each of your posts.  They mean a lot to me.  Sooooooo glad I remain smoke free.  It’s interesting that yesterday evening I started to romance once again having a smoke.  I wan’t even aware of it until I became aware of it.  And once I became aware of it I realize how insidious this addictive drug nicotine is.  I immediately got off that delusional romancing track and switched over to my “authentic “ track which knows for a fact that cigarettes are my undoing on every level.  And the thought of smoking just one was enough to jolt me back into reality.  One is too many and a pack is never enough.  

Back home from Seattle.  The opera, the Elixir of Love by Donizetti was fabulous.  Seattle does such a first class job on each and every opera it produces.  It was really amusing, funny and upbeat.  Just what the audience needed after coming down from those two stressful years of covid.  

We ate at some good restaurants.  Greek food one evening and Thai food the next night.  We walked around the town quite a bit, especially in the Queen Anne neighborhood where our hotel was located.  Great location as we could just walk to the opera.  

I hope you are still enjoying Hawaii.  And that you are getting some rigorous swimming.  

Good to hear from you, as always.

Anthony