About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First week nicotine free   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-20 by EryDayImRuss; 787 views.
Lubbercat

Jul-20

Well, congratulations on the first week, that is huge!  You have gotten through the absolute worst week, it does usually get mostly better.

As for those bed time cravings, they usually start getting a little better but, it is during those times when you are not busy doing other things that those cravings can be most difficult.  Those bed time cravings though will come less often and not quite as severe if you just don't smoke and continue moving forward.

I think when you first return to the environment with smokers, you will most likely have some pretty strong cravings in the beginning but, just like all the others, the more you say no to those cravings the less often you will have them and the less severe they will be.  Have a plan ready for when you return.......something that will help you get through those initial cravings.

I don't think there is a certain time line that cravings just stop.  I think every situation that we have not been through as a non smoker can be a challenge and even then, you may have rare cravings that you just have to walk through to get to the other side.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Just DON'T smoke and you will get through all this to the other side.......

Kathy

JavaNY

Jul-20

Congrats on one week. The cravings decrease over time, generally they don't just stop. The number of cravings and the length of time you think about them decrease. 

It's normal to be less focused from the change, I found myself very tired and I slept a lot more, though other people had insomnia.

Stay strong,

Paul

Anne2020

Jul-20

I loved your statement

'Every time I crave I just imagine that my brain chemistry is changing, being worn down and eroded back to its natural nicotine free state.'

Brilliant!!!

Soon your brain will reward you with peace.  Everyday you do not smoke, you move slightly closer to that quiet inner peace.  Welcome to your new smoke free lifestyle.     

Cheers!

MarthaJC

Jul-21

Hi there - I add my congrats to your major accomplishment!! I am almost 8 months into my quit, after many decades of smoking (and numerous other quits, some of which lasted for years.) The thing that feels different -- and permanent -- this time is that I understand that I cannot have one puff, or I'll relapse. Being on this forum has been hugely helpful and informational, and I also learned a lot about this wicked addiction on whyquit.com. If you haven't checked it out, you might find some great info and tips there. I honestly don't know if my cravings will ever go away completely, but they have lessened tremendously, and I am able to be around smokers without wanting to light up. Quitting is hard for all of us in some of the same ways and in some different ways, but I know that we all agree that no matter how hard it gets, it is worth it. You are worth it! Your heart and lungs are already doing a happy dance!! All the best to you --

Martha

Hi there!  I'm hoping that now you are at 2 weeks and still hanging in there.  You have a great attitude about it and that's the exactly right way to think about those terrible cravings.  Hope to hear from you soon on your progress!  Just stay with us!

Rassister

Aug-13

Hello,

I see that I am replying to you three weeks after you posted this!  I hope that you are still trying to quit.  If not, I hope that I can write something to change your mind.  Let me answer your questions first to see if I can encourage you to keep on fighting the demon!  (the cravings that attack when you least expect them and/or incessantly.  Like you, when I started my quit, I was not able to smoke during the day due to my work constraints.  However, when I got off work, I could not think of anything else except getting home and heading to my back porch.  It did not matter the weather.  I needed time to come home and "unwind with my smokes".  I assume that when you returned to the environment where you were with people who smoked, that things became much more difficult.  There are people on this forum who have quit despite being exposed to smoke and the same routines day after day.  I hope that you are able to do this.  I unfortunately had to close myself off to any kind of socializing with smokers for quite a few months into my quit.  All of us are different.  The key for me was support from this forum.  I owe my quit to all the people on this forum that I emailed nightly (and daily on the weekends) so that I could remain smoke free.  After forty years, there was nothing easy about it HOWEVER, I persevered and found a support plan that worked for me.  Even if you are still smoking, don't ever give up.  One day, the stars will align and you will find your self being able to put the cigarettes down and take one minute, hour and or day at a time.  I will keep an eye out for you.  If you would like to read posts from my journey, check out March Warriors 2018.  

All the best, 

Marilyn 

Marjorie1244

Aug-31

Hi , hope your doing well and well into your second month now not smoking , keep me up dated on how you feel now and what has helped you quit . I am new on here and in week 4 not smoking , I find each day gets easier, and hopefully those little receptors in my my brain , will soon give up ,nagging me to deaf , top up on my nicotine , as I think differently and have changed the habit doing different things . Well done if your still smoke free , they said takes 3months for these messages in my brain to weaken or better still disappear.  Marjorie1244