About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2022 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jul-31 by Denim50; 2509 views.
candrew

Aug-15

Hey Dog-

It's been a while since we conversed. How is your smoking going? 

I seem to remember that you are early in this process. I have 12 weeks and 3 days smoke-free. It has been tougher this past 2 weeks than when I initially quit. I guess I am still not totally comfortable with the whole thing. Have you had any uncomfortable cravings? I'm sure you have as we all do. What do you do to fight them?

I find getting out and about and walk or find something else to keep me occupied. I hang out in the house too much but as hot as it is here in Central Florida (today 95 at 3pm) I stay in my air-conditioned environment.

I listen to music all day and night. I can be seen dancing with my headphones blaring when I take my daily walk or even grocery shopping. People think I am crazy (which I am) but I feel the music throughout my body (and soul). I love it, it gives me such pleasure listening to contemporary jazz, rock and roll, blues and other venues that get me energized. 

Other than that, I keep busy around the house upgrading the interior, fixing things or washing the car, whatever I can do that takes me away from the compulsive thoughts of smoking. Some days are better than others. 

I hope this post finds you well and smoke-free. Love to hear back from you sometime.

Dancin''

Andrew

tonypfan

Aug-16

Lore:  Well, if you aren’t the peripatetic one in our Forum group.  Oahu sound fun; all of Hawaii sound fun.  Lol.  I hope you brought along a good pair of binoculars so you can marvel at the exotic bird life.  (We’re taking ours with us to Japan.) Like you wrote, if it’s too hot then go for an ocean swim.  What’s not to like about that.  

Betsy and I have been avid swimmers all of our adult lives.  In Pdx it was a daily swim at our athletic club downtown, the RAC.  It closed so we used the PSU pool since we were taking classes there and had pool privileges.  Now that we are at the beach full time we are so fortunate to have a 25 yard pool just a couple of miles from our house.  We swim 4 days a week.  I do a mile each time.  Even when I smoked I never gave up on swimming or squash or biking and what not.  I think I somewhat mitigated the damages to my lungs by this consistent exercise.  

I can’t believe smokes are so ungodly expensive there:  $16.00!!!  Holy moly!! 

Leaving tomorrow for the opera. Yep, we always spend two night there.  Sometimes we stay at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel downtown.  This time we are lodging in theQueen Ann neighborhood just for variety's sake.

I can’t believe smokes are so ungodly expensive there:  $16.00!!!  Holy moly!! 

Putting the last few additions on our Japanese itinerary.  It’s going to be awesome.  Can hardly wait.  

Have a ball in Hawaii.  It is always good to hear from you, Lore.

Lastly, I am really enjoying the Why Quit book.  I agree, while Carr’s book is good, this one is better, in my opinion.  

Anthony

Loreficent

Aug-16

Good morning Andrew,

Yes, it is lovely here! The sound of the birds in the morning is amazing. Today I’m going to take the car and drive around to the North side of the island. I’m always just a tad nervous to drive in new places, not to mention in someone else’s car. I kind of figure I can only go so far in either direction and I’ll hit water, so eventually I should find my way back, lol! 

That’s too bad you don’t travel anymore, but nice that you’ve seen so many of the states. It is inarguably an in beautiful country we have. So much variety in terrain, climates, creatures, weather. All of it. Just a stunning place the US is. Hawaii is certainly very different from any other state I’ve been to. This trip was a bit on a whim. My friend’s husband lives between here and PDX and is in PDX until mid-September. When he found out I’ve never been here he said “condo and car are yours, go!” So I bought a ticket and here I am. Longest flight I’ve taken to go to another state and I left from PDX! Flying is one of those things that still triggers an urge to smoke for me. I remember the first time I flew (which wasn’t until I was 19!) and one could smoke on the plane still. Ugh! I was a smoker then but was so airsick I did not even have the urge to smoke. It didn’t help that I was surrounded by smoke, and I have a feeling that was a big contributor to the nausea I was experiencing. Thank goodness there is no more smoking on aircraft! 

I use my iPhone to track walks, runs, etc too. It’s a pretty handy little gadget. I sure didn’t imagine having such a convenience when I was a kid. Now, it is just a matter of every day life. It’s funny to know that my daughter has no idea what life was like before being able to be so “connected “. She cracks me up when she asks me about “the olden days”, joy. I do love to be disconnected though, and make a point to take even a short walk every day without my phone. I think it helps me stay more connected with myself. 

I will send some pictures later today! Am off now to explore this little slice of paradise. Have a wonderful day Andrew and don’t lament too much about the cigarettes. You e come too far to start all over again and besides that, you’re not missing a damn thing!

In reply toRe: msg 1
candrew

Aug-16

another good site

whyquit.com

Andrew

In reply toRe: msg 14
candrew

Aug-19

Another morning smoke-free.

Freedom - it feels so good to know that I don't have to smoke today

Today I am free of the need to light up another cigarette. 

I can't believe that I can really say I am a non-smoker.

It's been a long time coming and I now know that I am going to make it.

I wish all reading this post can join me in making this commitment for today.

Andrew

13 weeks 5-20-22

Anne2020

Aug-19

Way to go Andrew,  well done.  A battle well won.  Perseverance pays off and always will in this instance.  No matter what never take another puff.  Your smoke free lifestyle depends on it.

Congratulations - I know that you have worked hard to get to this point.  Never forget all the work you put into getting here.       

Quit Smoking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

candrew

Aug-19

Thank you Anne

Jatchat

Aug-19

5 hours, 4 minutes and 17 seconds. 8 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12.46. Life saved: 40 minutes.

By hook or by crook I will get there

AT

Lee.T

Aug-20

Hi Andrew.  Hope you doing well. I am still battling but keep trying. You send me that link to get the audio version of the Allen Car book where it took me to the page but somehow I cant find it. So sorry can you send again.

Rassister

Aug-20

Good Morning,

I hope that you are having another smoke free day and are feeling better each and every hour you are smoke free.  Keeping track of time and money saved was a huge motivator for me as well.  I also thrived when I heard from others that had been successful each day as they put one more "in the books" as a smoke free day.  

I am not sure of where you  live but I am currently living with family in Maryland.  It has been a very hot and sticky summer.  I have four wonderful grandchildren under the age of seven and I must say that sometimes I really do feel some stress.  In the past, I would head outside for a smoke break and I would feel like "that break calmed me down" however now I realize that the only thing I calmed down was my "nicotine withdrawal".  In about an hour's time, I would be feeling that "same need for a fix"!  Now,when I feel stressed,  I take some deep breaths, take a quick walk, get a drink of water, divert my attention to another task etc. etc. etc.  I no longer use the nicotine or smoking habit to deal with my stress.  I think this forum is invaluable and definitely was the reason I was finally to kick the habit and begin to live a happier and healthier life.  You've got this.  Keep on going one minute, one hour and one day at a time.  

You've got this!  

Marilyn