Sand_Grain

The world in a Sand Grain

Hosted by Sand_Grain

Current debate about contemporary life, ancient historical issues, and just about everything in between in different languages

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

U.S.-Canada border crossings   Travels and Customs

Started 15-Jul by Gonghis (GonghisKhan); 245 views.

As the United States grapples with an avalanche of new cases of the novel coronavirus, the border between the country and Canada remains closed to non-essential travel. But even with the border shut, there has been a recent increase in land border crossings the last few weeks, according to data from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

By the end of April, around 112,000 to 115,000 people crossed land borders into Canada, which was about a 90 per cent drop from the same period last year. But in the last few weeks, that number has swelled, reaching about 172,000 in the first week of July, according to public data from the CBSA. The agency told Global News that this is due to crossings by U.S. citizens and foreign nationals who meet entry requirements, which include immediate family members of Canadians -- a recent exception -- returning citizens or permanent residents coming home after initial lockdown measures, those travelling for work and study, and essential workers.

U.S.-Canada border crossings are increasing. Here’s what needs to happen to keep COVID-19 out

By Olivia Bowden  Global News
Posted July 15, 2020 1:00 pm

MORE globe_with_meridians
https://globalnews.ca/news/7178367/us-canada-border-crossings-coronavirus/

In reply toRe: msg 1

Canadians appear to be proceeding with caution amid the COVID-19 pandemic -- so much so that they would support a second shutdown if needed, according to a new poll. The survey, conducted by Ipsos for exclusively Global News between July 8 and July 10, found 77 per cent of Canadians anticipate there will be a second wave of the novel coronavirus, despite efforts to stem its spread.

Most Canadians support shutdowns over 2nd coronavirus wave: Ipsos poll

By Hannah Jackson  Global News
Posted July 15, 2020 4:00 am

https://globalnews.ca/news/7176613/coronavirus-second-wave-shutdown-ipsos/

globe_with_meridians

TAB00GA

21-Jul

Not a good time for border crossing! 

I was wondering what will happen after the first of the year when many Canadians try to head south to Florida for their yearly six month vacations with their huge camper trailers and RV's? Will they be allowed to cross the boarder? And come to think of it, what will the ones that are here now gonna do when their six months are up? Will they be allowed back into Canada. It is a puzzlement  

TAB00GA

9-Aug

That is a very good QUESTION!!! thumbsup

So far I have no idea, but I do know that some people (aka Canadian snow birds) that were already there last January never came back home!

So being out of the country for over six months, they have lost their health care?

TAB00GA

12-Aug

Not sure -  I don't really know, but apparently the Canadian citizens have a private Military Canadian clinic all over the world!