Sand_Grain

The world in a Sand Grain

Hosted by Sand_Grain

Current debate about contemporary life, ancient historical issues, and just about everything in between in different languages

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The risks with the vaccine   Health and Science

Started 10/12/20 by AuntBetsie; 36199 views.
Michele (Conclave)

5-Sep

I moved here about 7 years ago, but I am barely conversant. I know single words, and can ask very simply questions, but since so many people you meet (especially under the age of 50) speak English, it's not been something that I have *had* to learn.  My job is to handle the English-speaking clients for the Finnish company I work for, so again, little incentive to learn. I try to speak to the grocery cashier in Finnish, and she switches to English to be nice! "No no, I need/want to learn Finnish!"  :) 

Duolingo has Finnish now, and when it was released, it was the number 1 chosen language in the first day of all the langauges that they offer. I have the most trouble pronouncing the a vs. ä or the o vs ö. I can't seem to hear the difference or be able to pronounce them correctly. And words with double-consanants -- since you pronounce every letter in the word, vowels are easier than consanants. 

And there is your language lesson for today!  :)