Sand_Grain

The world in a Sand Grain

Hosted by Sand_Grain

Current debate about contemporary life, ancient historical issues, and just about everything in between in different languages

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The 1619 Lesson   History and Archaeology

Started 18-Jun by Apollonius (Theocritos); 3383 views.
drl0lip0p

14-Sep

thumbsup THANKS!

The information  is appreciated! !! 

maxi4

21-Nov

Apollonius (Theocritos) said:

Renowned historians have soundly refuted her many falsehoods and fantasies.

Name a few, pal. Thank you very much.

In reply toRe: msg 29

Many historians have been noted in the links I've provided on this thread, but this piece from today links to a handy guide to debunking the claims of the 1619 Project.

... Concerned parents need guides to effectively respond to these anti-racist curricula, and thankfully scholar Mary Grabar has written one, called Debunking The 1619 Project: Exposing the Plan to Divide America. Grabar, who has crossed swords with 1619 Project creator Nikole Hannah-Jones so many times that NHJ blocked her on Twitter, offers a careful rebuke to the problematic (and often erroneous) claims of CRT. Grabar explains: “We must understand The 1619 Project: its divisive aims and its dishonest methods, its sweeping historical misjudgments and its blatant errors of fact. And we must drive its lies and its poisonous race-baiting out of public institutions, beginning with the official curricula of our schools.”

The early chapters of the book deal with the historical inaccuracies and irresponsible reductionism of the many articles that appeared in the original essays published in the New York Times Magazine. (Tellingly, a lot of the language from the project was deleted or changed following public backlash and critiques from respected professional historians, who said the authors had replaced history with ideology.) For example, put on the defensive by a backlash to her claims that 1619, and not 1776, is America’s true founding, NHJ at one point claimed the 1619 Project “does not argue that 1619 is our true founding.” Yet Hannah-Jones herself had previously tweeted, “I argue that 1619 is our true founding.”

The blatant historical errors have been well covered elsewhere, so I’ll just name a few. The 1619 Project argues that the colonies declared independence “to protect the institution of slavery,” though there’s just about no historical evidence to substantiate that. It asserts that American slavery was “unlike anything that had existed in the world before,” though any cursory survey of the ancient world, medieval and post-medieval Africa, and the Ottoman Empire puts that idea to rest. Slave traders from the Barbary Coast alone enslaved and brutalized more than one million Southern Europeans between 1500 and 1800. And NHJ fundamentally misreads the effect of the 1857 Dred Scott Supreme Court decision, which, far from “enshrining” the idea that blacks were a “slave race,” likely expedited the peculiar institution’s demise, given that the Civil War began only four years later.

Debunking the 1619 Project contains other information that is perhaps less well known. This includes the fact that, contra NHJ’s claims of intellectual novelty, black Americans have been discussing and memorializing the arrival of a Portuguese slave ship at Jamestown in 1619 for well over a century. There’s also the complicated fact that many blacks profitably participated as slave owners in the antebellum Southern economy (Grabar doesn’t mention it, but so did many Native Americans). That by no means excuses the sins of white slaveholders, but it certainly muddles the Manichean narrative preached by anti-racist ideologues.

In reply toRe: msg 29

But based on the other posts you have made to this forum, I rate you as not actually interested in the subject, and in fact, no more than a troll.

Please do not post to me.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Sylveria

24-Nov

Intriguing; I was looking for something that brings everything up to date for my mom! 

sunglasses