Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1925959 views.
MarciainMD

9/2/19

I like your mini quilt but I can tell I wouldn't have the patience or dexterity to try it.

• Edited September 2, 2019 4:16 pm  by  MarciainMD
judyinohio

9/2/19

Suze, that is lovely!!  What are the dimensions on this piece that made the hideous Sponge Bob fabric disappear?

Suze (casuzenn)

9/2/19

its quite small...with the borders its 12.5"x 14"...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

9/2/19

Oh, I've made two of those!  They are just so delightful!  You have complete control over whether you want to mix, match, coordinate any and all of the fabrics used, as well as the color of the zippers!

I remember when I first "discovered" the pattern there were two versions and there was a HUGE hullabaloo over adherents to one version or the other.  As I remember, the two patterns were darn near identical.  There were accusations of plagiarism, cheating, and downright nastiness.  It was all very entertaining when one was looking from afar.

judyinohio

9/2/19

OOOOHhhhh, that sounds like fun ... a cat fight in the world of fabric!  When was that??

Patty was here a couple of months ago, and we made a quick stop at a LQS where they were selling the pattern and advertising the class.  They had some great samples on display (one in Christmas fabrics!) and I signed up Sandy and me for the class.  Patty said that Carolyn had already made one of the bags, and she was done with it, so she gave her pattern to Patty -- but at the time of this visit she had not made a bag herself yet.  Carolyn said that it was kind of complicated and/or fussy, so we'll see when we take the class.  

Cathy (cacnurse1)

9/2/19

I know you wish you were here.  We do too.  Bob would just have one more crazy quilter to contend with.  He has gone to the shooting range and golf course, hardware store, car wash, chauffered  us to dinner, watched TV in the bedroom to escape, trimmed a couple trees, put up a new smoke detector, lubricated the garage door  and played with the dogs.  Hasn't complained about us quilters.

Mishii

9/2/19

Suze (casuzenn) said:

do you have gel pads under your quilting machine? can you get one of those saddle seats that rolls to help take the pressure off your feet? or maybe convert to a sit down table??

Yes, tried it, no.

I have plantar fasciitis, achilles fasciitis, heel spurs, and then I messed up the tendons on the side of my feet trying to protect my heels.  Whoopsy

I refused to explore surgery when discussing treatment options with my last doctor so I don't really know what kind.  I do know that you have to be totally non weight bearing for about 12 weeks and that doesn't really work for me.

I didn't take the appropriate precautions so today I'm paying for it.  I knew better.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

9/2/19

Hmmm.  It was more than several years ago.  could have been 2014 or so.  One version was the Sew Together Bag (I got the pattern thru Craftsy) and the other was the Bionic Bag.  The designer of each bag was really, really publicly nasty to each other and adherents of each camp were just as vitriolic.  I remember avidly reading about it on a sewing forum board, which I can't remember now.  But the exchanges were highly entertaining when viewed from afar and when you weren't involved.  :-)

Apparently a lot of the historical cat-fight has been purged from the internet.  The designer of the Bionic Bag has put some really defensive and angry verbiage in her FAQ section, which she apparently **kept changing** as developments occurred.   But alas, the FAQ has also been bleached.  :-)

Jonna and Sandy ... 
Since that time, *another* person has come out with a similar-yet-different bag for quilters (https://www.etsy.com/listing/241871190/ultimate-carry-all-bag-for-sewing?####&pro=1) .  I just discovered it when trying to re-find the sewing forum.   This is more of a tote bag size than an organizer that you toss into a tote.   What's interesting about this bag is the dimensions.  Big enough for printed patterns and it can carry one of those small travel size irons and has an ironing surface on one end.   In fact, I absolutely do remember someone mentioning that she had modified the Sew Together/Bionic Bag to have just that feature too.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

9/2/19

Jonna and Sandy .. before you take your class, *do* Google   Sew Together bag and Bionic Bag for ideas on variations you can do or even just different ideas for basic construction.