Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1930386 views.
viola (sissly4)

10/13/20

yes it was nice to be out of the heat and it was also nice to be up here and see my dad I haven't seen him in 5 years he sure has age I never thought I'd ever see him being worn out and not able to do anything but I am also glad to get home I will start off tomorrow morning

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/13/20

Well, I now have a quilting task!   

My middle daughter texted me today to ask if I had any queen-sized quilts that would like to live in New York.  She still loves the quilts that she has but feels she'd like a change of scenery.    All righty, then!

I went through my piles of quilts, measuring the larger ones to find a "queen" size (*roughly* 86x100 .. and that's a very fluid sizing!).   I texted her photos but she said they didn't excite her eyeballs.  Fair enough.

I moved onto the closet where all my pieced tops are hanging.  Once again, measuring to find the more-or-less queen sized one and texting her pictures of the tops.  After showing her 3 tops (and about to return to the closet for the next one), she texted me back that she really, really, really liked the first one I showed her and she'll take that one, please!

So, I reiterated that she wasn't going to get it soon because it needed to be quilted and at 90x104, it was gonna take a while.  Plus, I need to find/get a backing.  AND THEN, I'll also need to figure out exactly HOW to quilt this thing!   The needleturn applique is easy enough .. they get SITD.  But the hand-pieced stars?  Hmmm ... gotta think about them.

The scrapbooking work is going to be put on hold for a while.  Or maybe I can alternate days.

Here's what she chose.   The round stars are a pattern called "Stash Busting Stars" by Esther Aliu.   You can find her pattern online on her blog 

Wow you really love your daughter. I remember you making that quilt and am pretty sure you had it at a past retreat. It will be beautiful.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/14/20

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

Wow you really love your daughter. I remember you making that quilt and am pretty sure you had it at a past retreat. It will be beautiful.

heh.... yeah, I'm kinda fond of her.  :-)

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

viola (sissly4) said...

it's been a long time and I'm getting pretty tired and bored living out of suitcase and not being sitting in my sewing room and sewing but I will be leaving next Wednesday and start heading home it'll take me a week because I'm going to take my time and stop at quite a few places

I imagine you have been feeling lost by living out of your suitcase for so long.  Make your way home safely and I'll be praying God's angels will be surrounding you with their protection all the way.  Can't wait to hear what quilt shops and other places you find along the way.  Travel wisely dear one.

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

5dogmom (CRISR5) said...

Five-dog-dad even "lets" me keep in the living room!  We both enjoy it.

He's better!  There are stories and projects each spool in your lamp base represents.  Whether you know them specifically or not!

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said...

Coleman is very frustrated. Online grad school is NOT the same, if that was what he wanted he would have done one of those online  only schools. I think he is seriously regreting deciding to do grad school. Two of his classes START this week. How is that going to work. And yes, exactly same price.

Poor guy.  What will his Grad Degree be in?  I didn't realize he'd finished college.  Good for him!!  

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

Midkid5 said...

Challenge yourself, say you have to do minimal quilting on every third UFO you quilt.  However you will probably look at your UFOs in a different light if you decide to challenge yourself like this.

Jo

That is great advice.  Also for a newer quilter I should practice on a donation quilt in between other simpler quilts and work up my skills more often.  Thanks!

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

bornblesse2 said...

they watch hours of videos, along with your online in person classes, Ali g with Hours online doing homework stuff!  Many days he comes out of his room all dazed! And crazy .

Same with DJ!  Some days we hardly see him as he is working online on a group project with others, watching videos from professors, studying, homework and then coordinating with friends to study for an exam.  Crazy tired and stressed some weeks.  Fortunately this week seems lighter for some unknown reason.  But he'll take it!

Judy (DJZMOM)

10/14/20

bornblesse2 said...

ill plan to make even more kits up and bring them to retreat!

I DO hope that is a strong hint that retreat WILL happen somehow...