Latest 12:41 AM by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest 12:23 AM by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest 12:21 AM by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Jan-31 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-29 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Jan-28 by MelRN
Latest Jan-25 by judyinohio
Latest Jan-25 by judyinohio
Latest Jan-24 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-23 by Contraryqltr
Latest Jan-23 by MelRN
Latest Jan-22 by Contraryqltr
Latest Jan-18 by Suze (casuzenn)
Latest Jan-17 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jan-17 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Jan-15 by tuckyquilter
Latest Jan-14 by Contraryqltr
Latest Jan-9 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Jan-9 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Jan-6 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Looks like a snowman :) My fav!
So, I'm working in my latest hand sewing project. It's a pattern called "Shelly" by Esther Aliu and I felt compelled to do it *even though* they obviously misspelled the name. :-) I've done some of her patterns before and have enjoyed them. Aside: because this is a smaller square project, the size is problematical for me. It could be a nice baby quilt or a table topper or a wall hanging. None of which terribly interest me. :-) But, how could I resist that name?? :-)
So, I'm working on it to use up a charm square pack that I picked up somewhere along the line. I've augmented the charm square pack with a layer cake of the same fabric line. 5" charm squares are the perfect size for the clamshell template!
For this pattern, you take a square of fabric, typically WOF by <whatever>, draw a big X on it so it is divided into diagonal quadrants. In each quadrant, you then applique a triangle of clamshells, comprised of overlapping rows, in each quadrant.
This is the first time I've frolicked with clamshells. I was under the mistaken assumption that because I had done a lot of EPP previously that I knew how to deal with clamshells. I proceeded merrily along my way. At this point in the project, all 4 quadrants have their respective clamshells basted in place. One quadrant is even appliqued in place. I'm now working on appliquing the other 3 quadrants,
I'm noticing that it's kinda bulky in some places and decided late last night to see what tutorials YouTube had to offer. Well, holy moley. I'm doing it ALL WRONG. I mean ALL WRONG. Dismally wrong. Demoralizingly wrong.
The final visual effect is pretty but now that I have been educated on how to properly deal with clamshells, I now realize that *this* project really is worthy of a "first, misguided attempt". LOL I kinda want to re-do it properly so the top will be flat (right now it flat but *bulky*) ... BUT at this point, it's gonna stay as it is. I'm not unstitching all those danged clamshells and re-working them. Like I said, it LOOKS pretty. Non-quilters will never realize what a total debacle this is. You quilters may simply chuckle and be amused. :-)
I'll know better the next time I work with clamshells. If I ever do. LOL!
The photo below shows the project. The outer band of purple clamshells looks weird because 1) i didn't make enough of them (haven't a clue why) and 2) there is a pieced border that gets attached. I don't want to cut it off until I have the border ready. It would be just my luck to muck it up .... better to be safe than sorry. :-)