Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Organizing Sewing Areas   Quilting Challenges

Started 8/23/15 by bornblesse2; 27628 views.
Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-26

I'm reviving this thread in case anyone else wants to work on their space.

I had posted 2 years ago that I had lost control of my sewing space...and it just got worse after that! In the past year, the sewing machine was so buried I couldn't even sew up here at the main house (let alone iron or cut anything). Mishi had helped Denise get organized earlier this year, and I was inspired, though not physically able to do a lot. I have ideas about what I want to do, and Mishi has agreed to come visit me and help! Ami is on board too, and will try to join in the same weekend (but may have a conflict so she's offered to help when she's able).

I've been doing some pre-overhaul work. Today I gathered up most of my notions and baskets/bags/boxes of misc. stuff and hauled it into the living room (technically I guess that was yesterday as it's now after midnight). I've been "stuck" here at the house for several days due to recent knee surgery, and needed something to do. Earlier in the week I had gone through other bags and piles and roughly sorted things like patterns, bags (why do I have so many empty bags?!), paid bills, computer software/hardware, memorabilia, other craft supplies etc. Unfortunately my sewing space is also my office, but I'm going to try to consolidate all the non-quilting/crafting stuff into the corner where it belongs.

I'm going to get some pegboard and we're going to decoupage it with fabric (Mishi has already done this before) for one area. I also want to put some shelves on the wall behind where my mum's sewing table is going to be placed, but the table is about 30" deep and I don't know if I'll be able to reach beyond the first level so the other shelves might be more for "pretties", such as my small collection of toy sewing machines.

I had once bookmarked an article that I thought had lots of awesome organization ideas specifically for quilters, but alas I can't find it right now. It was sort of a "show off your space" kind of thing. I thought originally maybe it was an Ami Simms thing. If anyone has a favorite site or Pinterest board for this please let me know, thanks!

judyinohio

Nov-26

Ami Simms still has her "Show Me Your Stash" page but it is not organization ideas for quilters; it is a collection of photos of fabric collections which are sometimes quite messy.  wink   An old photo of mine is there (labeled "Judy") and it is one of the smaller collections.

http://www.amisimms.com/stash.html

Congratulations on having a plan (and willing hands) to get your sewing space whipped into shape so it will become your happy space. You will hug your self with delight when the job is done.

My big question to you is do you have a dumpster on the property so you can really get serious about thinning out the "never-gonna-use-this-stuff"?  sob 

(THAT was the BIG issue when DH and I recently helped our 46 year old DD move earlier this month from her condo to a house. We were appalled at what we found in her kitchen cupboards and applied ruthless logic to things like a package of organic jasmine rice dated 2002.)

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-26

judyinohio said:

My big question to you is do you have a dumpster on the property

No, the primary problems in here are organization and a 15 year backlog of papers. I have a plan for the papers, I'm going to have my nephew(s) help me sort it, one box at a time. Most of it will be recycled but some needs to be shredded and a few things saved (property tax and mortgage stuff for example). There are also many things in here that need to be put back where they belong. 

As for the items I no longer use/want I will check with my family to see if they want anything (i.e. craft supplies for crafts I no longer "do") and then I can sell or give them away on our neighborhood FB Garage Sale page. Any leftovers will go to a thrift shop. Some things might even end up on the donation table at the retreat if they're small and useful.

I've already found a few treasures: my teflon sheet that's been missing for a few years, the cord to our Go Pro, 2 Row by Row kits (both of which will go to the retreat with me and part of the reason I wanted to find that teflon sheet so badly). Now I think the only thing officially missing is a small UFO that is likely tucked away inside a bag with another UFO or two. 

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-26

You're right about the Ami Simms Stash page. This was in fact what I was thinking of. Thanks!

MarciainMD

Nov-26

I'm glad you brought this thread back to life.  I need to figure out a system for organizing that will work for easily packing up when I need a guest room.  DD and DSIL arrive in a week and a half.  I'm trying to get a couple projects to a good stop point then I need to pack everything up.  It's rather a daunting prospect.  A big part of the problem is all the donated Project Linus fabric I have piled around.  I've decided that after their visit I'll go through the stacks and get rid of whatever I don't like.  I'll take it to my quilt guild meeting because most of the quilters there also make quilts for Project Linus and someone is sure to like a fabric that just doesn't excite me.  For right now the fabric will go into plastic bins and into the back shed.

Humm I will have to see if there are some boards on Pinterest.  

Just getting started is great. I was when I had to move everything out of my sewing room when I did my big sort. I still have to get rid of things but at least now I have bins that make sense with like things. I will have to hAve a sewing room ag as in first. I just gathered up the basics I needed and havery them in the RV. I also set up DD#2 with all the tools she needs for sewing including an old sewing machine.

So go to Pinterest and type in " quilt room organization  " and there are a ton of ideas. Then just pin to your own board to keep the ones you like.

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-26

I've been looking but haven't found anything earth shattering. I'll keep checking!

Midkid5

Nov-26

Misha

You need to put a time limit to have long you are going to keep things that you no longer want. Offering to others or selling is great but they will continue to take up valuable space until they are out the door.

Jo

bornblesse2

Nov-26

Misha, glad you revived this thread!  And glad you have a plan.

i have some things in my sewing area that need to be put away.  Maybe tomorrow.