Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Flooring for a sewing room?   General Discussion

Started Oct-16 by GingerbreadG; 1131 views.
tuckyquilter

Oct-25

Anything but carpet.  I hated the carpet so much that I ripped it out, and just had the concrete slab for a couple of years.  My plan was to install large tiles on the entire first floor, which I did. 

Vinyl has some great wood looks these days, Wood, concrete, laminate -    anything but carpet.

I'm curious what your complaints are for carpet? Besides the obvious difficulty finding dropped pins.

LABFIEND

Oct-30

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

Besides the obvious difficulty finding dropped pins.

My solution for dropped pins is a telescoping magnet to pick them up!!

LABFIEND said:

Mine too.  I got the one that Kim D. recommended.  Though I did have a pin fall that had me stumped for a while.  I looked and looked, moved furniture and finally got the vacuum out.  With crazy cat eating threads and needles, I didn't want to leave a chance he'd find a pin and try swallowing it.  As I was vacuuming I saw something move out of the corner of my eye.  That danged pin was balanced up against the leg of the side table by my rocking chair.  It had bounced or gotten flicked about 3 feet away and I hadn't used the wand over that far.  sneaky pin.

tuckyquilter

Oct-30

Carpets are just dust/dirt catchers no matter how much you vacuum, etc.  I have found that tile/wood/laminate/vinyl are just so much easier to keep clean.  Dust mop and a Shark Steamer can clean the floor in a heart beat.

I do run my vacuum on the tile though in case I've missed something.  I've never been a fan of carpet. 

Ah, I thought there was something specific to sewing room. Yea I know they are not clean, but we tried living with wood floors for a week with pets, gah, the floor was always gritty. If I was serious about clean I would banish the dogs and have seperate shoes for indoors and out as they do in many cultures. But instead i vaccum a lot and keep my shoes on.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-9

LABFIEND said...

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

Besides the obvious difficulty finding dropped pins.

I just bought one of those from a tool vendor at PIQF.  Sure is a powerful magnet on the end of that little thing!

judyinohio

Nov-9

My DH told me that those telescoping magnets were invented to help auto mechanics pick up bolts, washers and nuts that fell down inside auto engine compartments back in the old days when car parts were made of iron (steel) and thus magnetic.  Magnets were strong because some of those smallish car parts were heavy for their size and they had to be wiggled out between cables and wires in engine compartments.

I found my telescoping magnet at a "tent show" at a local mall years ago where they were selling auto repair parts; also found a neat stainless steel magnetic bowl for holding flower pins (a bowl designed no doubt for holding small bolts and nuts).

• Edited November 9, 2017 6:40 pm  by  judyinohio
mxkittens

Nov-15

Mishii said:

I have porcelain tile that looks like wood. I love it. It is indestructible and easy to clean. The con: An iron dropped from a height of 4 feet will not survive. I don't have carpet in my house...we live in the country and have lots of dust. Carpet here is just a dirt trapper.

That is the real consideration, where you live!  I agree with Mishii, and I too have gotten rid of all carpet because of the dust.  My favorite tool is a dust mop.  Works like a charm for quick clean up.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-20

judyinohio said...

My DH told me that those telescoping magnets were invented to help auto mechanics pick up bolts, washers and nuts that fell down inside auto engine compartments back in the old days when car parts were made of iron (steel) and thus magnetic.  Magnets were strong because some of those smallish car parts were heavy for their size and they had to be wiggled out between cables and wires in engine compartments.

Off topic reply:  

I believe that.  My DH has used both items you mentioned working on cars over the years....  which he dislike doing.  Our son bought his car used and wanted to learn to do the maintenance on it himself.  His dear father told him the yays and nays of working on a more modern car (that DH had as a college student) but he advised him and offered, "I'll be next to you and talk through the project/issue but YOU son will be the one getting your hands dirty!"  hahaha