Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What's Cookin'?   Off-Topic Chat

Started Oct-28 by MarciainMD; 3456 views.
MarciainMD

Oct-30

I always enjoyed that too.  Since I can't eat gluten any more barley is off my list.disappointed

I am gluten free as well. I make soups with chicken and veggies. I made a broth last night with the remains of a Costco rotisserie chicken. Today I will add veggies, Thai green curry paste and coconut milk. This is one I make alot.

MarciainMD

Oct-30

That sounds good!  I love Costco rotisserie chickens.  They are so big that we get a roast chicken dinner with plenty left over for another meal.

LABFIEND

Oct-30

Mishii said:

It is common to see people with winter hats and jackets wearing flip flops.  I may or may not be one of those people.

Done that!

Me too! Here it is: 

Doing this new nutrition program, I decided that sometimes I need to make up something new! LOL! So here is my first new recipe:

1 c. uncooked quinoa

2 c. water

1 can Bush Best Low sodium black beans rinsed

1/2 lb chicken breast, cooked and diced

couple handfuls of spinach

Healthy drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 cloves garlic

2 T Mrs Dash original

1 T Mexene Chili Powder

1 T Paprika 

1/2 t sea salt (only, but u can drop this ingredient)

1/4 t cumin

1/4 t paprika

Place quinoa in small pan with water. Put on med high heat to bring to boil, then cover, lower to med low and allow to simmer for 15 min. While this is cooking, in skillet, drizzle some oil. Add garlic to start working. Rinse beans and add them as well as chicken to mix. De-stem spinach, slice to small pieces, and add to mix. Then Mrs. Dash, chili powder, sea salt, cumin and paprika. By this time, your quinoa should be ready to add. Add a little more oil, stir in quinoa, mix, and kind of stir fry this mix together until well mixed and sizzling hot! Enjoy!

BTW, anything that has sweet potatoes can substitute butternut squash or carrots. They're quite similar, actually. I was on a special diet n I just added sweet potatoes every time it said carrots, which weren't allowed on it. Delicious!

Yes, I didn't know it either. Dumplings in potato soup? Very different! But, I've seen chili made about 100 different ways too! It's ok, though. If we all ate the same, life would be boring!

judyinohio

Oct-30

Rivels are like tiny dumplings that never grew up.  LOL

I take about one cup of flour, two beaten eggs, a teaspoon of salt and beat this mixture together with a granny fork. (That's a short-tined cooking fork with a wooden handle.) Then I sit down at the kitchen table with a cookie baking sheet and the pan of dough and pinch off "clots" of dough and drop them on the baking sheet so they can air dry for a few minutes.  Once the baking sheet is cluttered with the rivels, carry it over to the simmering pan of potato soup and use a metal spatula to scrape the rivels into the soup.  Stir well so that the rivels do not clump together.  Simmer about five or eight minutes until rivels are done (I guess the term would be "al dente"). 

Start the rivels cooking before the potatoes are done.

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-30

we make something similar with the same dough...spatzle...only we have a fancy tool - dough goes in the little carrier and you run it back and forth over the boiling pot of water or soup ...very yummy with butter and grated swiss cheese...

now I am craving spatzle.....really craving!!!!