Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How do you organize?   General Discussion

Started Nov-10 by Mel Harris (MelHarris1); 1973 views.

Do you always organize by color? I had previously organized by type of fabric: Civil war repro, 1930's, brights, neutrals, Christmas, batiks...I have brought my old fabrics in and am going to try to put them together with my new ones, and get rid of some, probably. They're in small amounts usually...1/2 yard or less, generally...mostly FQ's. 

Suggestions welcomed!

MarciainMD

Nov-10

I sort by color, except for Christmas and autumn.  They have their own drawers.  I combine all neutrals together, blues/purples, pinks/reds, oranges/yellows, then a drawer of brights.  I keep strings in a couple containers, 2 1/2" squares in a container and charm squares in a box.  I'm sure there are people much more organized than I, but it works for me.

judyinohio

Nov-10

Yes, I always organized by color until my stash got away from me.

Then there was the holiday stash (Christmas and patriotic), the juvenile stash (cute kiddie prints) and the manly prints (lumber, tools, sports).

Novelty fabrics took me away from the simple color method of organization.

In reply toRe: msg 3

And what about all those fabrics that are multi-colored?!

I sort by color. Multicolor are kept in their own group.

I guess you need to consider how you use your fabrics. Do you choose it by color or by the kind of fabric like 30s. That is how you want to sort it.

Mishii

Nov-11

I organize by color.  Christmas is separate.  Batiks are separate, but organized by color within the group.  Fat quarters stand on edge in a drawer...organized by color.  Strips are organized by color and put in a plastic shoe box.  I can fit 3 in a drawer.  Scraps go in tubs.  They are not organized in any way.

latterberry

Nov-11

I organize by type--30s, solids, brights, kid/novelty, polka dot (yes, I do have enough polka dots to get their own tub), florals, reproduction, etc..  The ones that don't fit in those categories are sorted by colors.  You just have to find the system that works for you.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-12

I mainly organize by color, but.........my Christmas, batiks, kids panels and prints, flannels, and orientals are separate.  I have boxes of strips, squares, and triangles.  My extra wide backing fabric is also separate.  I think you have to find what works for you.

MarciainMD

Nov-13

Well, at least you're honest about it.smile