Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

An Amazing Amateur Polymer Art Show in Pittsburgh   Off-Topic Chat

Started Nov-15 by judyinohio; 300 views.
judyinohio

Nov-15

If you live near Pittsburgh and have time to view an unusual art show before it closes  you might enjoy this one created by hundreds of international polymer clay artists.  The theme was "Into the Forest" and this video will show you what creative minds can do with realistic and fanstastical takes on such a theme; flowers, leaves, birds, bugs ... anything that might flourish or lurk in a forest. 

Prepare to enjoy about four minutes of a tour of the opening reception last weekend.

https://vimeo.com/242343557

MarciainMD

Nov-15

Judy, thank you for sharing this.  It was fascinating to see all the different ideas and creations that artists come up with.  I'm very allergic to poison ivy and seeing the polymer clay variety almost made me start itching!

judyinohio

Nov-15

I have viewed the show three times and I missed the poison ivy. Guess I should go back and take another look!  I liked the more "out-there" creations, the foliage that might have come from another planet; some of the color combinations were awesome.

My DH took a look and he said that there certainly were some "old hippies" in the crowd.  I smacked him for that.  angry

ETA: Oh, my, yes!  The poison ivy leaves are at 1:43 and are so plump and healthy. I did not recognize them as such because they were not on a vine.  Are we supposed to think that the artist plucked them?  wink

• Edited November 15, 2017 1:31 pm  by  judyinohio
MarciainMD

Nov-15

New sprouts of poison ivy look like that because they haven't had time to form a vine yet.  Believe me, I know how to recognize poison ivy!

Midkid5

Nov-15

Thanks for sharing, would be fun to see it in person.

Jo

latterberry

Nov-16

Wow!  What a beautiful assortment of goodies to look at!  There certainly are some talented artists.  I had to laugh when you mentioned your husband's comment because I too thought of some of them looking "Bohemian".  You should enter some shows like that.

judyinohio

Nov-16

Lynne, I would have sent an entry to that show if I had known about it. It looks like the kind of "challenge" that welcomes people of all skill levels.

MarciainMD

Nov-16

If it's an annual event you'll have to find out about entering next year!

sueinIL

Nov-16

Thanks for sharing, Judy!  That was an outstanding array of art pieces.  My favorite was the little maple seed "wings." Of all the other gorgeous plant life, they seemed the most humble and perfectly done.

Sue in IL

There are some awesome things. Thanks for sharing.