Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 504299 views.
latterberry

12/11/17

I think I love buying fabric, getting it cut up and sewing the blocks together, but when it comes to sashing and borders, etc, I get bored with the project.  Not great at quilting but am learning how.  Anyone else in that same boat, love putting it together but not the quilting part?

Yep--that's me.  I love seeing that first block come together.  I only cut enough to make one block to make sure I like it--can't understand how some folks do all the cutting first then start putting the blocks together.  What if you don't like it after all or cut a piece wrong?  I don't mind sashing and don't always use borders, but stall out when it comes to the quilting part.  Nap sized quilts and smaller I do on my little black Singer, but anything larger gets sent to my long arm lady!  Just about everyone I know has a bed sized quilt so now I just make quilts for charity and the quilting is VERY basic cross hatch or stitch in the ditch--nothing fancy at all. 

In reply toRe: msg 166
CozyQuilts

12/11/17

I wish I could afford a long arm, but not in the cards for me.  Also, no place to  put it, too small a work area for one and I am also a little intimidated by them.  Guess I will be sticking with my Brother embroidery and quilting machine.  And yes, I too cuss a blue streak when the quilt is larger than a twin.  Maybe that's why I have 4 unfinished quilted tops in my closet.  Can't afford to send it out, just too expensive.  Though, when I have tops for charity, I do leave them with the guild and they will finish them for me.  

bornblesse2

12/11/17

Yea!  I just finished rescuing some scrap strips!  I posted this on FB, but am really happy with how fast this charity quilt top went together!

from the same scrap bags I rescued some strips of batting.  This morning I got them spliced together into sizes for two small quilts for church charity!  Makes me feel good to do this from someone’s throw away!

judyinohio

12/11/17

That is a very pretty scrappy quilt, Ellen.  The recipient will be pleased with this beauty.

bornblesse2

12/11/17

And it went together fast!   I’m doing another, but with tiny pieces and not strip pieced.  It is taking a lot longer, but is using up my smaller scraps from my strip box!

In reply toRe: msg 171
CozyQuilts

12/11/17

That is a fun way to use up scraps!  I love doing crumb blocks and strip piecing.  

That is really pretty! Amazing what can still be made from what others toss.

latterberry

12/11/17

That looks great!  I may have to use it for inspiration on one of my charity quilts.  I've been trying to tame down my scrap pile too.  I just finished 9 twelve inch string blocks that I'll put together QAYG.  Still have tons of strings to go!

MarciainMD

12/11/17

That's a super way to use up strings!

3carats (MaryDinFL)

12/11/17

judyinohio said:

Just because you rescued my green disaster years ago and made it into a lovely bed quilt doesn't mean you can save every disaster that comes out of my fevered brain. LOL I know you love a challenge but some quilty things are not worth the effort involved.

My plan was to finish the quilt for you and send it back. I don't think it's a disaster. You made it or your great grandchild and he/she should have it. And yes, I like a challenge. With love and friendship, Mary