Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 604145 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/18/19

Hope you had good luck.  So what did you come up with?  Do you have pictures of the ring you created from your scraps?

judyinohio

2/18/19

Well, dear Cathy, this polymer clay ring idea could become very addictive because it is easier than piecing a string block! Talk about fun with clay ... whoooeee!  The only thing holding me back is the ability to (1) punch differently sized holes in a "ring" to make different sizes and (2) where in the dickens would I wear these things? 

After all, the end product is not exactly something you wear to go grocery shopping .... at least not in my small town. LOL

Here are some photos that kind of explain the process.

You slice some thin discs off of an existing "cane" that has a pleasant design with colors you like.  Pick one slice and place it on a background color you like.  Save the rest of the discs for other experiments.  Run the chosen disc through the pasta machine on top of the slab of background color and make the two pieces "merge" into one piece by making the settings on the pasta machine thinner and thinner.  This merging or blending process distorts the disc's design by stretching it out of shape.

Make a small ball of clay in the same color as the background clay, cut a circle out of your blended piece, wrap the colorful clay circle around the ball, smash it flat, cut a hole in it and you have your ring.  Bake it and after it has cooled, try it on.  Voila!

I made two in no time at all.

Here's the second one.

And here's a view of the second one (with pattern more skewed) without a finger holding it up.  The first one was when I tried to make the blue center dot more centered in the top of the ring.  The second one was when I went for the lopsided or distorted look.  I could spend all day messing around with these but as I wrote earlier what's the point ... I'm not going to wear these things anyway.

Wonder if you could make bangle bracelets instead of rings.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/18/19

judyinohio said:

After all, the end product is not exactly something you wear to go grocery shopping .... at least not in my small town. LOL

Start a trend.

Be different.  :-)

5dogmom (CRISR5)

2/18/19

In the second picture you shared, I would love to reproduce that oval on the black background with embroidery, beads, and sequins.

I like the others, too; but the featured oval really caught my eye.

Cris in MT

bornblesse2

2/18/19

I agree Judy!  I’m happy to recycle where I can.....or just use up left overs without throwing things away!

Midkid5

2/18/19

How about napkin rings for your next dinner party?

Jo

judyinohio

2/18/19

I do have cloth napkins that I use. Thanks for the idea, Jo. 

Suze (casuzenn)

2/18/19

that is a great idea for your clay rings! napkin rings!!