Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 499470 views.
Mishii

2/22/19

Good prices, fast shipping.  I buy by the roll.  I don't know how the packages compare pricing wise.

Mishii

2/22/19

That is so pretty!  Just lovely.

latterberry

2/23/19

Absolutely stunning!  Yes--please share on here because not all members are on Facebook.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/23/19

What did you use for the dragonfly wings?

I used some shimmery blue shear fabric that just had a cord through one end to make a cape that Myrtle has had in her dress up bin for about 8 years. She told me earlier this year she is way too old for that stuff now. I packed up their dress up box for our grandkids... which since one was just born in November they will be ready for in only another 2-3 years.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/25/19

Nice rescue of the fabric.  Dress up box will be short one cape or just have a shorter cape.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/27/19

One of the handwork project that I brought to the Retreat with me this year is a long time UFO.    Come to think of it, generally speaking, aren't all UFOs long term?  Otherwise, why would they be UFOs?  But, I digress.   Because I felt in the mood for machine sewing, I didn't work so much on the handwork BUT I finished all of the applique this past weekend.  Hooray!

Sunday, I sewed on the scrappy piano key border made from more Aboriginal fabrics.  Monday and Tuesday saw the black Aboriginal fabric border put on and appliqued down.  At long last, this top and UFO is *done*!  Hooray!

My middle DD bought a single jelly roll of Aboriginal fabrics in 2010 when she did a semester of University in Perth, Australia.   I really, really, really wanted to make a quilt of JUST the fabric she brought back but, honestly, you can't do too much with just one jelly roll.  Additionally, I was fixated on making a *quilt*, as opposed to making anything else.    With the help of EQ, I had designed the most amazing block ... but ... reality set in when I figured out that I couldn't make an entire quilt top with the single jelly roll.  In fact, the most I could swing was *2* columns (and a throw pillow), which doesn't make for a very big quilt.  So, I added on two vertical borders for applique and then more borders all around to flesh it out.   I did need to buy additional Aboriginal fabrics to create the outer two borders.

I must say that as most things go, when I wing it, things don't turn out especially well.  When I put on the applique border, I wasn't thinking of anything other than having a "pleasing" vine to hang the flowers from.   It wasn't until I added on the outer two borders and decided that it would look Really COOL if I replicated the curve of the applique vines between those two borders.  Well, the curve of the vine wasn't well-conceived for that purpose.  It was *fine* all by itself but I definitely ran into continuity problems in two of the corners because the curve just was NOT working out.    Sooooo .. sigh ... the curves leading into the top two corners in the photo below are poorly done.  The *applique* is nice ... the curve itself is not.   But, that's how the cookie crumbles.   The top is *done*.  :-)

latterberry

2/27/19

Absolutely stunning quilt!  And who is the recipient of this fine beauty?  I can send you my snail mail address.

judyinohio

2/27/19

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Pirate's middle DD is very likely to be the recipient of the quilt, Lynne, so you are out of luck.  (Unless Pirate decides to keep it for herself.  wink  )