Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 503817 views.
bornblesse2

2/27/19

Nicely done!  I like the components you put together for this quilt top.

Suze (casuzenn)

2/27/19

heh...it looks wonderful! and it's unique!

That is so pretty! Kinda like stone soup. Your daughter provided a small part but you kept adding great stuff to it to make it amazing. 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/27/19

Love it, especially the center design.  DD #2 should love it.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/27/19

heh ... As Judy in Ohio mentioned, my middle DD, who adores all shades of purple, gets this.  I texted her the photo and said that as I had designed it without her input (in retrospect, I probably should have), if she didn't like the layout, then I wouldn't have put her Oz fabric to the best use.   And I told her that she didn't *have* to like it; she could be honest and say so.   

But, happily, she does like it.    Once it gets quilted (and thanks, Ami, for the brainstorming on the quilting idea in the gray applique area.  I'm pinning a sketch of the idea to the top so when it comes time for quilting, I'll remember!), then we'll decide whether or not she wants it shipped to her in NYC.   She's sharing a 2BR apartment with a roommate, so this isn't a permanent home for her.  As such, I really hate to weigh her down with "stuff" that she would then need to tote from place to place.  But that decision is a ways off and if she would like to have it, then I can certainly mail it to her.   She has a LOT of stuff still being stored her on the ol' homestead (from when she had her own apartment) so it's not like storing one more item for her would be a hardship on us.  :-)

latterberry

2/27/19

I already knew the answer, but you can't blame a girl for trying.  How does she like living in NYC? Small town farm girl here, and that would scare the dickens out of me.  All my kids left the rural area for a bigger city (not nearly as big as NYC) and love it.   No doubt your DD will love her beautiful new quilt.  And... my kids have been out of the house for 20 years and still have a few of their things.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/27/19

Lynne, she's been there about 5 years.  At first it was difficult because she didn't have a social network .. it was just a concentrated summer course.   The students came from all over and would disperse upon completion of the course.  After she found a job upon finishing the classes, she moved a couple of times, which of course disrupts any acquaintanceships she might have formed where she was living.

But, as she's been in this place for "longer", her social network has been expanding so that living there is becoming "better".   She able to do more social things and that makes living there more enjoyable.

Her job is being a literary agent .. the liaison between an author and a publishing house.  She mentors and encourages authors to improve their manuscripts to be more cohesive and sellable.  Apparently, the hub for *that* kind of a job is NYC, although if she had a stable of authors that were "hers", she could theoretically be based anywhere.  She could then take those authors and get hired by some other literary agency .. or be an independent contractor ... or find an agency that would allow her to work remotely.   But that kind of a scenario takes a very long time to accumulate authors to present to another agency as why she should be hired.  Being an independent contractor is even more scarey.

So, for the foreseeable future, she'll be in NYC, although it does present its logistical problems when she wants to come back here for holidays or visits.  It's not like she can just pop over for the weekend.  Well, she *could* but jet lag is horrible and the flights are long.

xstchr

3/6/19

Just finished my guild challenge quilt.  I call it: The Garden Wall.  Had to use colors from a paint strip.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/6/19

that is absolutely beautiful!

latterberry

3/6/19

Wow! That s one amazing quilt!  You should win the challenge.