Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 609842 views.

Hey Judy no worries. It would be fun to have you come over here even if just to visit. I get excited about a project and start pulling out stuff and next thing you know stuff is everywhere. I guess I do have a bit much and I will try to move some of it outta here to a new home. You do raise some very valid points.

LABFIEND said:

I hate to see useful things just discarded, I would rather find them a useful home You know, someday our planet is going to run out of resources.

I heard once that we use the term "throw away" well there really is no "away". That stuff fills landfills and toxic stuff can seep into the enviornment. I too like to find homes for anything I have that someone else may be able to use.

latterberry

5/14/19

Wow! Your heritage scrap booking sounds quite labor intensive.  Can you explain about the newspaper.com?  Can you find articles about people from long ago?  Interesting.

latterberry

5/14/19

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I get excited about a project and start pulling out stuff and next thing you know stuff is everywhere

That is entirely my problem.  I get excited about something and start pulling out more than what I need for whatever it was I was excited about.  I am currently interested in red and white quilts, so have pulled anything that is red or red and white.  It will get cleaned ;up when I get out of that phase.  Hopefully...

latterberry

5/14/19

LABFIEND said:

I hate to see useful things just discarded,

Same here!  I was brought up that way, if you don't want it then find it a new home, unless it si really in bad shape or totally useless.  It is sad how disposable our society has become.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.

LABFIEND

5/14/19

latterberry said:

It is sad how disposable our society has become

Yes, and even if it is useless, with a little effort, it can be recycles.  People don't want to make the effort to conserve and recycle, when it is easier to just throw it out.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

5/14/19

Lynne, it is amazing.   Not just long ago articles but  more recent times as well.   I found my younger brother's birth announcement from 1960.

I'm using their 7 day free trial to look up any and all names during specific timeframes  then I'll cancel the trial.   

They don't have every newspaper for all times but it doesn't hurt to query.

I buy most of my clothes second hand these days, also known as pre loved. Since sewing clothes has been my hobby since the tender age of 5 (started by picking up my moms scraps off the floor and making clothes for my dolls) I have begun remaking my thrift store finds and even use the fabric in my quilts. I found a skirt some months back because I liked the print and there was lots of fabric and I was going to make a sundress out of it. Well I did some research online and found out that it is a a designer skirt from the 80's and there are a few pieces on ebay. I tried it on and the waist band elastic in the back was shot but the skirt looked really nice with a black t and my suede ankle boots. The front of the waist had a really cool detail and the side zipper had two pulls so you could zip the bottom open as much as you want. It was a gathered skirt and looked pretty good on me so I ditched the sundress remake idea and have just finished picking out the elastic band on the back of the waist..............a trip to the fabric store, a little time to resew three straight lines of stitching and it will be perfect again...................not bad for a few bucks at the thrift store. Guess someone either got tired of it or the waist elastic no longer hugged their waist.

I also found a pattern form the give away table from retreat that I picked up years ago when I was cleaning my sewing room yesterday. Picked it up looked at it and realized that it would look amazing in a different colorway and scrappy so I will be pulling out my overflowing bin of brown fabric to use as the background color and then hitting up the overflowing bins (I have about 3) of scraps to fill in the rest of the fabrics. Seems like brown fabrics are always the ones on sale and over the years I have accumulated an impressive collection of them and don't use brown much but I love it with blue and green. I bet though that my stash is teeny tiny compared to your stash..............have you ever seen that show Wharehouse 13.................it is a scifi series where there is this endless warehouse of cool stuff that goes on forever..........that is the vision I have of your quilt building.

Gotta sew a backing for my cousins quilt so I can load it on the longarm and get it outta here so I can get back to my stuff and I also need to start cutting my wonkey blue and orange blocks since my 12 1/2 inch ruler is here.

Midkid5

5/14/19

Ami

Your post made me think of the hand me downs I got from my brothers when I was in high school.  I loved them.  I got two shirts, same design just different colors, I got many compliments and inquires from my friends mothers as to where I found such pretty blouses. I also had the sweater vests that went with the shirts and two turtle neck sweaters.

Glad you decided to take a second look at the skirt and you can make it work for you with minor alterations.

Jo

LABFIEND

5/14/19

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

.have you ever seen that show Warehouse 13.................it is a scifi series where there is this endless warehouse of cool stuff that goes on forever..........that is the vision I have of your quilt building.

Love Warehouse 13,  I can only hope to have that cool a quilting building!!