Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 532672 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/5/20

and ... TA DA!!!   I have finally finished my current Forever Project™!!

This is my Smooshed Hexies top (not yet a quilt; not gonna be quilt for a long time).  I started in 2016 with a bunch of hexies and no plan.  After some research and looking at what to do with the flower units besides Grandmother's Flower Garden, I saw where someone had simply sewn them all snuggled up against one another, willy-nilly.  

Gosh.  I could do that.  So, I kept making flower units and sewing them together until I had achieved a "goodly size".  At that point, I was bored and put it away.  Fast forward to 2019 when I rediscovered it in one of my UFO boxes.  It really was too small to do anything with it, unless a baby quilt was needed ... and let me tell you that I don't love ANY baby enough to give them a hand-stitched quilt.  Yep, I am just that selfish.

So, more research into how to make it bigger ... attractively .. with out more smooshed hexies.  I found a border treatment that I liked and adapted it to my center.

And folks ... I put in the final stitch tonight!  I'm feeling pretty doggone good about it, too.  :-)

MarciainMD

2/5/20

Looking at it gives me a happy feeling because it's so bright and cheerful.  Lovely work!

Must feel good to have it done. It sure looks amazing.

Suze (casuzenn)

2/5/20

Your Smooshed Hexies is doggone cute!

Midkid5

2/5/20

It's a beautiful top, sorry it will once again be tucked away, not quilted and on display for visitors to see your creative talent.

Jo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/5/20

Right now, I'm spending the majority of my time working on heritage family photo scrapbook albums.  I feel much more compelled to get the family information and photos properly organized and preserved than to get my quilt tops quilted    I'm the de facto family historian and if I don't do it, it won't get done 

But, I must say, I do hear quilting's siren call at times.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/6/20

I have previously shown y'all the hexie 2016-2019 Forever Project that I finished just the other night.

What I didn't mention was that last year I indulged a bee in my bonnet about starting a Hawaiian Applique in batiks Forever Project.  :-)   I have a bunch of Hawaiian Applique patterns, which I enlarged to fit onto a 12" block.  I used my Scan-n-Cut to cut the template for me so I could trace the full size design onto my batik.  (I don't use my Scan-n-Cut to actually cut the fabric, which it can do, because there's just a whole bunch of prep and post work that needs to be done, which isn't worth it to me for needleturn applique pieces.)

I had appliqued about half of one Hawaiian design before I realized it was really foolish to have TWO Forever Projects going simultaneously, so I tucked the Hawaiian Applique away.  I have now returned to it and am pleased to say that I have finished that first block.  :-)

Right now, I have 12 Hawaiian Applique designs.  I don't know if I'll stay with just 12 blocks or if I will make more.  I have no idea how I'm going to arrange these 12" blocks but I can certainly kick that can way down the street.  :-) 

Here is the first one completed: 

YDritch

2/7/20

You are amazingly talented and patient.  I'm afraid these old eyes and hands will have to leave that kind of work to you.

MarciainMD

2/7/20

Another beautiful forever project! 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

2/7/20

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I am keeping my current forever project a bit under wraps for now.  It is a just for fun project for my sewing room I think you guys will like. 

Looking forward to seeing you project.  You put out the carrot.  Now I'm wondering what it is.