Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 498804 views.
Midkid5

1/1/21

Thanks for the suggestion will give it a try.

Jo

bornblesse2

1/7/21

Break time!  I’m doing a job I HATE!  Ironing!

yes, ironing.  I got in a couple boxes of donation fabric and sorted it a few days ago.  Nice stuff mostly!  And some real yardage, great for backings.  But some of it needed washing as it was so stiff.  3 loads later and several days later.

Two nights ago I couldn’t sleep, so I began going through yardages to see which needed splicing or joining with another to make basic backs - we do many quilts about 60 x 90 for a specific group.  Got a pile stacked up for sewing.

well, this job requires ironing for many of these fabrics..one in particular and it is absolutely HUGE.  Taking a break.

bornblesse2

1/7/21

On that same note, over the weekend I took a quilt from Patti and added to it to make it the 60 x 90 size, because I could....and I had some fabrics that matched.

here it is Patti...hope you approve!

in the center you see what I left left from the 2 fabrics I added....lol!  Using up more fabric bits!

oh, I made a backing for it also!  Ready for going to church!

Midkid5

1/7/21

If I was close enough I would do the ironing for you don't mind it at all.  Today I have to do some sewing room cleaning.  Made a quilt top from old flannel shirts, strings everywhere.  Plus just need to put some stuff back in its place.

Jo

A couple of years ago I saw these 2 short YouTube videos by TEAQUILTS, showing how she makes up "yardage" for charity quilt backings and keeps them on hand wound around a bolt.  (That also gets all of those pieces out of your stash, and onto a bolt you can pull out as you need it.) 

You may have already seen this, or something similar, but I thought it was a clever idea.  The video was made on a very windy day, and the sound is not the best, but you can get the idea from the video, even without the sound.  Part 1 is only about 5 minutes, and part 2 is only 3 min.  Very helpful ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9B038izZ5M  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Txrfqcts98 

I always struggle when using "ugly" backings tho.  I've I've spent that much effort making the top, I usually end up feeling like I shouldn't short change the back (unless it's a wall hanging).  I can see for charity quilts but for a gift I just can't do it. smile

almost done quilting.  I'm happy with my compromise - not feathers but I think it works.  The idea was a modified Hooked feather.  I only went the wrong direction once and no one will ever know.

LABFIEND

1/7/21

bornblesse2 said:

here it is Patti...hope you approve!

Yes, yes I do!  Glad you could make it a bigger size that you can use.  I thought about making them bigger, but figured you could do that after you got them, if you needed them bigger.  Great job!!  Keep at it!

LABFIEND

1/7/21

I need her wooden porch to lay things out!