Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 363791 views.

I have been focusing on quilting since I got back from the retreat. For two reasons. I have a place to quilt at the shop so spend most of my days up there doing that. Also it is just too cold to work in the RV where I have most of the little sewing machines (I have 3 of them in there). We drove to New Mexico Wed night so I brought some sewing projects with me. So far I have pieced all the brown and green wonkey circle blocks I started at the retreat. There are 34 blocks and that was a lot of sewing and cutting. They are now ready for me to take them back to CO where I will trim them to size and make a setting and sew them into a top.

I also traced off a new shirt pattern up there and brought that and two thrifted shirts that are 2XL with me. I picked the first shirt apart on Thurs and cut out the new patten. There was just enough fabric and had I not picked the shirt apart it would not have worked. When doing an upcycle you really need 2 to 3 sizes bigger than your size to ensure you have enough fabric. I will sew this shirt up and if I like the fit I will cut up the screaming lime green linen shirt and make the second shirt of that.

I also have the last kit from the retreat which was for a green and brown carpenter wheel so I hope to get all the triangles sewn up for that one as well. 

It is nice to get some sewing projects done and I will be ready to get back to the quilting when I get back up there. I need to finish Dee's which I have done a lot on already and then the one for Yetta. After that I am loading up another one of my UFO's I made quite some years back as I have an plan for it.............remember the 3" nine patch block swaps that we did a million swaps for. I pieced an amazing top but never quilted it.

bornblesse2

Apr-10

I am working up small quilts and a kits using up some flannel from the guild I belong to.   Today I got backing ready and batting spliced together.  Yippee!

but, the scraps are not yet gone.

bornblesse2 said:

but, the scraps are not yet gone.

No matter how much I try to use the scraps they keep multiplying.........like as in I have more and more!!!!

I am going to try to cut some scraps when things warm up a bit, I have several bins and will just work on one at a time.

Thank you :) I look when she posts it, and seem to always forget to save it.

I spent the day organizing my documentation.  My novelty blog, my novelty excel file and my physical scrapbook binder are all up to date and in sync now.  I didn't realize how far behind I had gotten, I had not printed any photos in over 3 years.  I also compared all 3 sources and identified the remaining quilts that I had not put in the blog yet.  Yesterday was a busy day.  I still need to go through and print off photos and make a few notes on my non-novelty projects.  I had not done anything on that other than phone photos and the excel list since 2017.  Yikes.  I've blogged on a few of them on the novelty blog but I'm not comfortable having the only documentation be virtual.  Based on the excel list there are about a dozen but I want to go through my phone photos and make sure I've not missed something in the last 3 years.

I've also started thinking about my purple/gold reverse applique table topper and how to finish it.  I think I'm going to try Ami's idea of the looped binding.  But first I need to quilt it.  The last reverse applique was machine quilted but I wasn't all that pleased with how it turned out and this one is even more closely appliqued.  So I've decided to hand quilt it.  I kind of enjoyed the little bit of quilting I fixed on my black & white quilt this weekend, still have 3 more sections to do.  But once that is done, I'm going to sandwich the topper and put it in my lap frame.

NanaSuz

Apr-12

Lynne, It's been so long since I've been on the forum that I have forgotten some things. Is there a thread for talking about new things we have seen or learned? I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I saw a wonderful guest on The Quilt Show yesterday and hoped to share her with the ladies in this forum.

Thanks so much, NanaSuz

judyinohio

Apr-12

NanaSuz, any time you want to start a new topic on the forum you go to the top of the page and click on the small navy blue box that says "+New Topic" in white letters and that will open up a new box for you to start a new topic.

(At least that's how it looks on my desk top iMac computer.)

latterberry

Apr-12

I really don't know!  Just start a new topic and don't bother what thread to put it in.  It may be wrong, but that's what I do.  I would love to see what you have to share.