Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 385468 views.

I will post photos after I finish the second top. I did get a good start on it tonight. The French seams in the sleeve really is nice and not hard, it just takes an extra step but we'll worth it.

latterberry

Apr-13

I also remember when you were working on it.  Doesn't seem like it was all that long ago. I'm sure they will love the quilts.  Do they know that you had made one for them or will this be a surprise?  When they go off to college do you think they will keep up with their bagpipes?

judyinohio

Apr-13

Funny you should ask about the piping .... one of the places they are considering is Carnegie Mellon and it's the only university in the US with a bagpiping major.  wink

However, several years ago I asked Elizabeth how long she planned to continue with the competitive piping and she said she planned to quit when she went to college. So, we will see how that works out ... they are so talented and they've won so many medals it might be hard to give it up.

They might remember I asked about a favorite color for the border of a quilt but it was eight years ago  .....

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

Cathy (cacnurse1) said: after saying goodbye to my long arm What?  When did that happen?

I've been thinking of it for awhile.  I've been having increasing problems with my right shoulder.  Many of those at the retreat noticed.  Kathi Shunn was talking about getting a long arm with her bonus.  I mentioned that I might be selling mine.  I came home and talked to Bob about it and decided to let it go.  She and her DH came and picked it up mid-March.  I will quilt by check from now on.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

good selection of hockey fabrics at equilter.com 

Thanks, Jonna.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I love this block, but hated the faded fabric.

That's a great block.  Glad you found a solution and can love the quilt w/o reservation again,

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

No matter how much I try to use the scraps they keep multiplying.....

This is true.  Even making a scrap quilt can yield more scraps!  

understand.  Nice that you could sell it to someone you know, help you both out.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-14

judyinohio said:

I am getting ready to ship the scrappy quilts I made for my granddaughters in 2012

I remember you making those.  Didn't realize it was so long ago.  They will love them.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-15

I've returned to a needleturn applique Forever Project that I started in February 2021, just before the Retreat.  It's called A Gathering and is designed by Barbara Persing.  At 45"x57", I consider this a personal throw size and a little small for my tastes (I don't need any more personal throws.  Oh hush up, all of you.  I know I don't NEED any more regular sized quilts, either!  Y'all sound like Mr. Pirate!)

This is the pattern: 

My intent is to double the width by repeating the quail appliques.  Since they are all independent, I don't think this will be difficult.  And then add enough rows to give me the length I want.

That's the PLAN, anyway.  :-)

Since I need to trace the outline of the birds onto the background fabric, I had previously purchased a small lightbox.  Only, I'm cheap .. er, frugal.  :-)   I found a kid's LED light box that has turned out to work exceptionally well.  It's lit by LED lights, is nicely thin and weighs less than 2 lbs.  It has turned out to be very convenient, especially when I'm working at night and can't use a window for my light box. :-)

And here's my progress to date.  Only 2 birds so far but now that the hexie itch is out of my system (for now), I'm finding working on the birds quite satisfying.  I've pulled all of my hand-dyed fabrics and batiks for this project.   

I've been scrutinizing the pattern cover photo to see why it looks so attractive.  I've realized that the designer has consistently used lots of black/white prints  for various pieces of the birds, as well as using the black/white prints for all of the eggs.  The pops of color on the birds make it interesting  without being overwhelming.  Also all the top knots look to be the same fabric, as well as the feet (again, consistency).  

Sadly, this little bit of wisdom came AFTER I had already stitched the first two birds .... no black/white prints anywhere to be seen on them.   I had already decided to use the same fabric for the feet but the top knots are different.  Hmmm.  Maybe I can use just those two fabrics for consistent top knots.  Ah well ... they will be the oddballs.  :-)   I do have a nice stash of black/white prints that I can pull out for the eggs, though.  I'll need to see if they are a properly scaled print.

Here is my 2 bird progress: