Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 406169 views.
judyinohio

Jun-18

Sue, the blocks are 10" squares.

judyinohio

Jun-18

Yes, Viola, I am using the paper foundations I bought years ago from Missouri Star Quilt Co.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/120779/missouri-star-quilt-co/-/missouri-star-10-paper-piecing-squares

The thing about this batch of papers, though, is that the pattern printed on them is just the slightest bit whopperjawed, not true to the diagonal. I have to draw the diagonal line a quarter inch up from the points of the paper to line up my first fabrics for stitching. But I love the quality of the paper ... better than gift wrap tissue paper that I used to cut up into squares.

(I know, there are people like Pirate who absolutely HATE tearing off paper foundations but if you use a fine needle to make fine stitches and the right paper it is lots of fun zipping those papers off. Very zen-like therapy.)

judyinohio

Jun-18

Thank you, ma'am.

The work I am doing now is making a very small dent in my collection (since 1993) of reds and neutrals. 

DD will still have a lot to inherit.

judyinohio

Jun-18

Thank you, Ami. 

I have purchased a handsome fabric for the borders and backing as well. Keepsake Quilting has an amazing assortment of choices in their 108 x 108  "Back Packs" that go with just about any doggoned concoction of quilt fabrics that you can put into a quilt top.

This is what I'm going to use on this "barber pole" creation I am working on now.

https://www.keepsakequilting.com/Cream-Circle-Play-108-3-Yard-Back-Pack

MelRN

Jun-18

Isn't it great to have hobbies to keep us occupied?! Looking good!

judyinohio

Jun-18

Yes.

Having quilting to keep hands busy is much better than eating potato chips. grin

MelRN

Jun-18

judyinohio said...

Having quilting to keep hands busy is much better than eating potato chips

Hahah! True 'dat!

sueinIL

Jun-18

The shading on that backing is very pretty!  It's such a good feeling when you find that "perfect" fabric.

I already have a pattern and all the individual fabrics for my next quilt.  Well, "next" is a relative term since I usually have 3 or 4 going at the same time.  But I have put myself into a zero project zone until I actually complete the 3 tops that were already in the works. I'm just about ready to sew rows to put the #2 top together (it's the Lincoln quilt) and then start on #3 (nine patch and rails).In another week or so, I'll feel much better about launching the new one. And the national parks panel I just sent for, and the patriotic quilt I bought a kit for....

Sue in IL

Or then there are real rebels like me that make my string blocks with no foundation at all. I just press and then square up. I do lay them over a template to check that they will be close to the right size.

Judy that is a nice looking backing fabric. It will be perfect with your string quilt.