Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 474889 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-23

and I have now finished the top of Gathering of Quails Forever Project. :-)  Although there was a small bit of drama involved.

The original pattern has 4 rows of quails with a narrow border then a wider border for a final quilt size of 49"x57".  This is a small quilt for me and I wanted a bigger one.  It seemed to me that  making the rows slightly longer (WOF), adding another row of quails, and making the borders respectively larger would do the trick for me.  And so I did.

I had a "goodly" amount of an ecru tone-on-tone fabric that I used for the background.  I planned on using this fabric for the wide outer border.  Then, as I continued to work on it, I became dissatisfied with the simple wide border and decided to do a pieced border  of scrappy piano keys instead.  As I worked on those borders, it became increasingly clear to me that my "goodly" amount of ecru fabric wasn't going to be enough.  In fact, I was going to be about a yard short.  No amount of creative problem solving was going to get me more of that fabric.  I had purchased this fabric years ago from who-knows-where, so simply buying more wasn't an option.

So, I looked through my stash.  I didn't have an ecru tone-on-tone that was the same shade, as what I had was just "off" in some manner .. too light, too dark, too yellow, too brown ... they all looked *different* from what was already used.  Then I found a mottled ecru .. no tone-on-tone design .. but the shade was kinda/sorta/almost/maybe the same look and feel.  I used it and interspersed this new background fabric in amongst the existing piano keys so they would be kinda/sorta/maybe scattered in between the original ecru background fabric.   The four cornerstones also needed to be cut from this new background fabric.

When all is said and done, I think it turned out pretty well, all things considered.  The two different background fabrics are now a "design feature" rather than a desperate attempt to make lemonade from some lemons.  And if some sharp eyed person notices that there are two different background fabrics, I will give them kudos for having keen eyesight and direct them to look at some other aspect of the quilt.  :-)

The top now gets hung up with all the other tops, to await its turn to be quilted.  Someday .... that's a different project. :-)

Here's the completed top.  The size is 70"x100", which is only a tad bigger than measurements for a twin sized bed .. which is what I was aiming for.   It's longer than my display space is high, so it extends out onto the floor for picture taking.  :-)

judyinohio

Jun-23

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

So, I looked through my stash.

Isn't is wonderful to have a FOREVER stash to go with your FOREVER projects?  Great job, dear Pirate!

Very nice finish. Sometimes the substitute is better than the original.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-24

lovely quails! clever solution!

viola (sissly4)

Jun-24

Shelley you did a nice job your quilt.

Midkid5

Jun-24

The quilt looks great, cute and bright.

Jo

Mishii

Jun-24

That turned out fantastic!  Is your background different colors of ecru?  Seems slightly different in places. 

::flee::

It looks awesome. Great problem solving to transition the switch of fabric in the piano keys.

I seem to be quilting all my most recent tops first and working my way backwards with them.......and I have quite the pile to choose from too. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-24

Mishii said:

That turned out fantastic!  Is your background different colors of ecru?  Seems slightly different in places. 

Good eyes.  Yes.  :-)

:: bonk you on the head::

NanaSuz

Jun-25

Judy, I guess neither one of us were winners, but it sounded like fun. 

I also saw in one of your posts that there was a link to Fabric Shack. They are literally down the road a few miles. I love that place. I'm heartbroken that the bricks and morter store store closed with the Covid stuff. I am so glad their online shopping remained opened. I keep praying that they can find some younger ladies interested in working in their store and get it to reopen. Love that place.

You enjoy your day.

Nana Suz