Latest 2:29 PM by MelRN
Latest 1:03 PM by sueinIL
Latest Jan-25 by lppenguins
Latest Jan-25 by judyinohio
Latest Jan-24 by MelRN
Latest Jan-23 by Mishii
Latest Jan-23 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Jan-20 by Mishii
Latest Jan-20 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR)
Latest Jan-16 by Judy (DJZMOM)
Latest Jan-13 by MelRN
Latest Jan-12 by bornblesse2
Latest Jan-9 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Jan-7 by joepeter00
Latest Jan-3 by sueinIL
Latest Jan-2 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)
Latest Jan-1 by keddykat75
Latest Dec-31 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-30 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt)
Latest Dec-27 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Latest Dec-27 by Cathy (cacnurse1)
Hope you put fabric under your needle soon. Strip quilts are such fun and can be put together so many ways like log cabin blocks.
Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:
they aren't doing those boxes at the PO any more that used to be one price regardless of the weight.
Dee, the have priority mail boxes at my post office, small, medium and large.
Love your beads quilt. May have to try one. I'll put it on the list. Still trying to finish others.
Lynne, you are such a nag! I'm still working on the reds and neutrals HST thing, what I'm calling the barberpole quilt.
Don't forget your scrappy leader/ender project. 16 patches if I remember.
hmm, I had tried searching on line and couldn't find it. I'll swing by my PO and see.
They have those boxes (flattened) in a cardboard kiosk just inside the door at my local PO.
"Normally", you'd make piano key borders with strip sets ... one strip set (light/colored) for each width you need. But since I was making mine scrappy, I couldn't do that efficiently and economically ... remembering that I realized I was running short on the background (light) fabric.
So, what I did was ... knowing that the longest background segment needed to be 7.5" (cut) because that would be paired with a 5.5" (cut) colored segment to give me a final segment 12" (finished). The width is really irrelevant; you can make the piano keys any width .. random or uniform .. and it doesn't matter.
I cut my background strip at 12.5". I had precut all the colored strips to whatever I needed: some were cut at 5.5", some at 6.5" and some at 7.5". I put the background strip face up on the sewing machine and simply place the colored strips side-by-side along the length of the background strip and sew the seam.
Then I cut the strips apart (the colored strips are already apart; I'm just cutting the background fabric into strips) and voila ... piano keys. I then sew the piano keys together in the color arrangement that I want. At this point, I don't pay any attention to the length of the background portion, as I know I'm going to be trimming that off.
Now, to be sure, the LENGTH needs to be trimmed off .... I know that the 7.5 background + 5.5 colored is the measurement I want .. so I line up a long straight edge and slice off the excess background fabric.
Well I have been doing some sewing for granddaughters mostly shorts. After I got your package I did some decluttering in the sewing room that has helped, probably would of done some strip sewing the other day but was to lazy to change out the jersey needle.
Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of something else that my creativity has been focused on.
A few days ago, I finished a UFO. For quite a while (like Dee), I have wanted to do a reverse applique project. In 2019, I found one that was designed to be a SMALL project, like 12x12 finished. But, I couldn't let well enough alone. :-) I enjoyed the project, but don't feel the need to repeat it. I consider this box checked off.
I made a long, narrow applique, which when I was done, I had no idea what to do with it. A throw pillow came to mind, but I honestly didn't want another one. Mr. Pirate has already "commented" on how many I have on the couches. So, I let it hang on my design wall for a while. A crafty friend was visiting and commented how pretty it was and how much she liked it. I told her she could have it. *I* certainly didn't have any idea for it! She said it would look so pretty as a table runner. What an excellent idea!
So, I loaded it onto the longarm, quilted it with some curvy feathers along the perimeter but was stumped as to how to quilt the reverse applique portion. Ami to the rescue! :-) She and I talked for a bit and we hit upon the idea of doing a SITD just inside each applique and also quilting "ghost wings" around the butterflies. I must say that it turned out better than I thought. The only real part that I wasn't thrilled about was the binding ... I didn't have any of the background fabric at all and nothing in my stash was really terrific. In the end, I used a bland green mottled batik. My friend was thrilled with it. I'm so glad (that I don't have this project hanging around my house!) :-)
The pattern is "In a Word For the Love of Applique - Beauty" by Jill Rixman. It can be found at http://www.artfullyapplique.com/product/pina04-beauty
Here's the finished piece. It is 15"x44" The quilting was done in a pale green thread that blends into the background fabric, so what you see is the texture .. until you take a closer look. After the reverse appliques were done, I did a freeform, wavy hand-embroidered chain stitch around everything. Then I put standard applique flowers, berries, and leaves around the chain stitch vine.
Here's a close-up of the perimeter quilting .... each quadrant has this curvy feather and double-line beadboard.
Here's a close-up of the quilting around the butterflies. I used about 3-4 different butterfly wing outlines, also done in the pale green thread. The SITD on the inside of the butterflies was done in clear monopoly thread.