Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 478934 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-11

My goodness your table runner is just lovely.  The quilting is wonderful.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-11

I was very happy when she said that she liked it cuz I really didn't have any actual plans for it.

judyinohio

Jul-11

Thanks, Judy.  My DD  has pounced on this one and claimed it for her living room couch. That makes number three for her living room now .... LOL

Christmas applique progress.  I've stitched two and three fourths  blocks, and prepped several others.  I'm having to hold myself back to save them for a trip to my aunts memorial service - in the car with my two cousins for 12 hours each way- one of which I haven't spent much time with since we roomed at college one summer in 1981.  I'm finding that I do enjoy prepping the blocks - very much like a puzzle.  The nutcracker wasn't part of the pattern but I wanted to add him as I have several in my Christmas decorations (thanks Pier 1).  I'm a little nervous about all the embroidery details that I'll need to do eventually - I haven't done much embroidery lately - need to watch some youtube videos to figure out some fancy stitches.  I also need to go shopping for some more leaf fabrics - there is a long garland of holly leaves, a poinsetta,  and a wreath block.  I've been using a layercake of green batiks I won as a door prize in AZ several years ago but I will definitely run out.  I will officially be sick sewing of pointed leaves by the time this is finished.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-12

Your Christmas quilt will be lovely.  In general, how big are those blocks?  trying to get an idea of how big or small the pieces are?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I will officially be sick sewing of pointed leaves by the time this is finished.

and little round berries!

I love the look they give to a piece, but honestly .... I get tired REAL FAST of making them!

the Nutcracker itself is about 10" tall.  the Christmas ornament is a little bigger than a tennis ball.  the nutcrackers eyeballs are tenee tiny, I had to use tweezers and the appliquick pointy stick.

Making the berries isn't too bad once I reconciled myself to the gathering method.   I did have problems with losing them, I'd count 7 then all of a sudden there were 6 - one was stuck to my sleeve.  I do need to make some even smaller ones for the poinsetta centers.  They are just big enough that I don't want to embroider them.  I might try just using the appliquick tools to gather and press instead of gathering with thread- I've gotten pretty good at that on some tight curves.

What I hate is all those pointy points on the holly - the batik makes nice points but sewing through them is a little nerve wracking - so far I've only broken one straw needle but I'm sure it won't be the last.  which reminds me, I need to pack a magnet for the car trip.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

I went shopping for greens at lunch, it wasn't very successful.  I need to find a LQS with a good selection of "solid" batiks.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

so far I've only broken one straw needle

Oy vey!   Those needles are SO slim.  I know that I've bent more than a few in my time but I don't think I've ever broken one.   Hand sewing through batiks is .... challenging. 

It's going to be gorgeous when you're done!