Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 447083 views.
tuckyquilter

Aug-3

Thank you for the encouragement,

I use a lot of washable Glue Sticks and Elmers glue on point.  It helps keep things in place and no pins required.  

I also glue bindings after I sew it on the quilt. I turn to the front and press in place then glue down.. Makes those

mitered corners look really good.

latterberry

Aug-3

Love your quit!  That's a lot of little triangles to put together.  Congratulations on attacking you UFOs.  It feels good to see projects go from the UFO pile to the completted pile.

viola (sissly4)

Aug-3

I like the way you lay it out.Most of my our charities also. 

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Aug-3

Got it, Dee!  I'm hoping you'll let this be a kind of "pay it forward" deal.  You're always so generous with everyone here in sharing your stash and humor.  As good as you must feel doing things for other people, please let it be YOUR turn to have something nice happen to you!

Cris in MT

P.S.  I'll let you know when I get to the post office.

aww, well thanks.  I appreciate that.  I did finally send my strings to Jo (after 3 months - geesh time flies, would have sworn it was just last month and not May when I promised to send them).

I did go ahead and purchase the Kaleidoscopes patterns from Mary Corbet.  I have always loved mandala type patterns.  Isn't this one amazing!

I'm going to try and make myself wait until my Christmas applique project is embellished before I start any of these tho.  I already have two hand projects - I need to finish one of them before I start another.  and maybe itching to start these will keep me moving.  blush 

I've gotten a little discouraged on the Christmas applique - the prepared edge applique is very portable and you can tell about the color mix of the fabrics very well.   But good golly, stitching through several layers of glued/starched batik is nerve wracking.  I'm constantly worried that I'll either break the needle, shred the thread, or the thimble will slip and stab the back through my thumb.  Not very enjoyable.  I've stopped using the batiks for the leaves, hoping the regular cotton will work better.  And I cut down on the amount of glue I'm using also.  learn as you go.  But I have two blocks partially done, I don't want to remove the batiks so I'm just gritting my teeth and pushing on.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-3

That's embroidery?????  Holy moley... it's *gorgeous*   WOW 

hehehehe.  Really dear PIrate, you need to go spend some time on her site.  Just watch a few videos (she said knowingly....)

https://www.needlenthread.com/videos

read some blog posts too, she posts the most gorgeous close ups.

https://www.needlenthread.com/2021/07/embroidered-grapes-outlining.html

I really do feel like I'm peering down into a rabbit hole, I could so get lost in those colors and patterns.  You guys may have to remind me at some point that I'm a quilter.

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-3

what glue are you using? I have found there is a difference using the glue from Appliquick...stuff is expensive, but the needle goes right thru it - way better than the Sew-Line brand in the pen holder from the LQS or the washable glue sticks from the big box stores.. Plus it stays wet longer, allowing for more adjustment time.

Here's the applique block I'm struggling with. 
The white canes aren't batik but I did have to double the fabric to prevent the seams from showing.  The red strips are batik and the green is also.  I think I have 6 or 7 more red stripes, but at least I'm out of the center where the canes crossed and were on top of the leaves.  I'm going to soak it to remove the glue/starch then done, then check to make sure I caught everything sufficiently.  There were places where it was so stiff I only caught one or two threads and I'm worried those won't hold once the glue is gone.

This one I did in regular fabric and limited the glue and starch, hoping it stitches easier.  The guy at the LQS looked at me kind of funny when I walked up with 5 bolts of green and wanted 1/4 yard from each.

He hasn't worked in a quilt shop very long if that surprises him.  Hah!