Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 501342 views.
latterberry

Aug-19

Aww.... Your quilt is sentimental ad adorable.

I have slowly eased back into working on the longarm. I was shocked the my log book said a month had passed since a 45 min session....and before that another month. This is an intricate design on a blue and orange mountain majesty. In the past three days I have made good progress. Almost done with the orange parts and need to figure out the blue. Photos on my Instagram page.

tuckyquilter

Aug-19

I love binding. I sew it to the back, then  press in place on the front, and GLUE.  Let it rest 24 hrs and can machine stitch around the entire quilt in a matter of moments.  I try to get 2-3 ready at once.

I've used this method for hand binding but sewed to the front and pressed to the back then glued.  Keeps all the binding in a nice place.

next one done.  Something about the embroidery I do not like.  Not sure what it is.  I thought the greenery was supposed to be ferns, but then ferns don't curl.  And what do they have to do with Christmas.  Hmm.  I might remove that curl on the right.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Aug-20

It might be a poinsettia arranged on a bed of evergreen boughs?

Anyway, beautiful job on the embroidery, which looks good now and will look good if you change it.

Cris in MT

Maybe the branches came from one of those kinds of trees that they train to grow in a spiral.  Hah!  Okay, I am no help at all.  

tuckyquilter

Aug-20

That's really pretty.  You have way more patience than I have.

I'm starting to get excited about finishing  this thing.  the embroidery is much harder on my eyes than applique I am discovering.  I need to take a break, sew something on the machine for a while.  But here is another one finished.  I was excited about this one as I wanted to try more satin stitch.  The little "crowns" turned out great, but sure did take a long time.  And my eyes!  Sometimes I could not focus even with my magnifying classes on.  Ah age.

This isn't from the original pattern - the pattern had Happy Holidays in plaid and I really wanted Merry Christmas.  So I found this as a coloring book page on the internet.  It was challenging to do the letters, but I decided if I could do needle turn reverse applique, I could tackle these.  I did "cheat" a bit and make the R's and A from two pieces to avoid having an inside circle.  And the embroidered chain was one I found on Needlenthread.com.  It looks cool but golly, it was challenging to get the loops the right size, much harder than a standard chain stitch.  There is essentially a knot in between each loop and if you mess that up it's like getting a knot out of your thread.  bad words a few times.  But it's done and looks pretty spiffy!

thanks.  regarding patience, I am starting to get tired of the embellishing.  too many branches!  I have a goal to finish at least one more before I go back to working on applique.