Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 498745 views.

Pebbles look good......running to duck fir cover!

I call that quilting "classic McTavishing". Years ago I watched one of her YouTube videos and started with pencil and paper and practiced. Then I started quilting that technique on a lot of quilts. It is not hard but it does take a lot of thread, lots of patience and lots of backtracking. I also use thin thread and never variegated thread for this.

I got the binding machine sewn on my blue and orange mountain majesty quilt today. Now I have a hand project when we drive to New Mexico for a little vacation in a week. It is a 7 hour drive.

DBIL also got my industrial Juki machine set up today so I can use it again. I am going to bring some corduroy fabric to the shop tomorrow and make a jacket on the machine. I can't remember the last time I sewed on my industrial machine. I brought it up to the shop from New Mexico about a month ago.

I did stare at the bargello I loaded on the longarm yesterday. It just stared back, a few times and I ignored it the rest of the day. I did sketch some crazy feather things I might use but I want to sleep on that idea.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-25

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

Pebbles look good......running to duck for cover!

Oh, I completely agree!  I do like the look of different sized pebbles all mixed up.   I just dislike stitching them!   Boring.  :-)

Yes they are not the most exciting thing to quilt but the end result is worth the effort. I have suggested before a fill fir applique do 3 to 5 different fills and mix them up and make them blend into each other.

I am gonna try to attach a photo....sketch of Southwest feathers....a new idea for my bargello I started at the 2016 retreat. Class Ellen taught. I am finally getting around to quilting it now that it has nicely aged.

Guess it won't work on my phone, tried several things. I will text you the image.

Re embroidery on the flame. I may put a few wavy lines, that is what the pattern had. I put some first thinking to camo the shadowing but did not like so I removed and appliqued over the center.

The place I had the class actually sell some they make using gromets and hooks on bungy cords instead of the velcro. I like mine better. But if you are rolling back and forth a lot your fingers do get sore from repinning.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-26

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I made some of those triangle pieces you have described in the past that you pin to the sides of the quilt

I had done that in the past and found it worked quite nicely.  But I still had to pin the long edge of the triangle to the sides of the quilt.  When I was pinning the top/backing to the leaders, it wasn't so bad.

But then, I switched to Red Snappers (or a competitor .. I'm not sure which) and I have discovered that I *REALLY* like these gizmos!  They make loading the quilt almost painless ... *certainly* a lot less time-consuming versus pinning.   That left the side tensioners.  If I wasn't pinning the top/bottom edges, I sure didn't want to pin the sides!

So, I kinda made something up.  I took a thin stick ... along the lines of a paint stirring stick that was the length of my workspace .. i.e. the length of the side of the loaded quilt.  Then, I use BIG bulldog clips at each end to hold the stick to the sides of the backing.  I have discovered that it is a Good Thing to have the backing be about 6" wider on each side than the top because it makes clipping the paint stick easier & the machine head doesn't run into the paint stick.   Now I have the *entire* side of the backing fully supported (much like it was when I was pinning it).   Then I use the big, ol' clamps that came with my Innova to put tension the paint stick sides.  Very easy with the clamps.

When it comes time to advance the workspace, it is very easy to release the clamp, release the 2 bulldog clips per side, and remove paint stick.   I'm pretty sure that the Red Snapper company has a similar sort of gizmo for side tensioners but I made do with what I had on hand.  And so far, it works. :-)

hmm, bull dog clips are an interesting idea.  I had made these fabric things several years ago when I discovered the clamps that came with my machine pulled the fleece backing out of shape (too heavy).  The clamps also hang down and get in the way when doing ruler work.  And hurt my hands - 3 strikes.  I like how light and flat this set up is, but pinning and unpinning if you are rolling back and forth gets old.  (I have some prettier ones now).  The stick puts even tension across the backing, and the velcro straps make the whole thing very light.

I have the side tensioner that red snappers sell but it is very difficult to close it with the fleece backing.  with the arthritis in my hands it was just too much.