Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 472515 views.

Re embroidery on the flame. I may put a few wavy lines, that is what the pattern had. I put some first thinking to camo the shadowing but did not like so I removed and appliqued over the center.

The place I had the class actually sell some they make using gromets and hooks on bungy cords instead of the velcro. I like mine better. But if you are rolling back and forth a lot your fingers do get sore from repinning.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-26

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I made some of those triangle pieces you have described in the past that you pin to the sides of the quilt

I had done that in the past and found it worked quite nicely.  But I still had to pin the long edge of the triangle to the sides of the quilt.  When I was pinning the top/backing to the leaders, it wasn't so bad.

But then, I switched to Red Snappers (or a competitor .. I'm not sure which) and I have discovered that I *REALLY* like these gizmos!  They make loading the quilt almost painless ... *certainly* a lot less time-consuming versus pinning.   That left the side tensioners.  If I wasn't pinning the top/bottom edges, I sure didn't want to pin the sides!

So, I kinda made something up.  I took a thin stick ... along the lines of a paint stirring stick that was the length of my workspace .. i.e. the length of the side of the loaded quilt.  Then, I use BIG bulldog clips at each end to hold the stick to the sides of the backing.  I have discovered that it is a Good Thing to have the backing be about 6" wider on each side than the top because it makes clipping the paint stick easier & the machine head doesn't run into the paint stick.   Now I have the *entire* side of the backing fully supported (much like it was when I was pinning it).   Then I use the big, ol' clamps that came with my Innova to put tension the paint stick sides.  Very easy with the clamps.

When it comes time to advance the workspace, it is very easy to release the clamp, release the 2 bulldog clips per side, and remove paint stick.   I'm pretty sure that the Red Snapper company has a similar sort of gizmo for side tensioners but I made do with what I had on hand.  And so far, it works. :-)

hmm, bull dog clips are an interesting idea.  I had made these fabric things several years ago when I discovered the clamps that came with my machine pulled the fleece backing out of shape (too heavy).  The clamps also hang down and get in the way when doing ruler work.  And hurt my hands - 3 strikes.  I like how light and flat this set up is, but pinning and unpinning if you are rolling back and forth gets old.  (I have some prettier ones now).  The stick puts even tension across the backing, and the velcro straps make the whole thing very light.

I have the side tensioner that red snappers sell but it is very difficult to close it with the fleece backing.  with the arthritis in my hands it was just too much.  

next done - this one didn't have as much embellishment - or I'm getting faster

bornblesse2

Aug-26

Ami, bargellos really look nice with curvy or roundish shaped quilting on them.  All those straight lines and cuts look good with curved quilting, circles, waves, etc.

I suspect you know this….

I am playing with ideas and I do have a few curve things among my sketches. Today I walked in the shop checked the quilt on the frame and spent the rest of the day prepping a pattern for a chore jacket. I made a quick muslin to check the fit and cut it out in my fabric. I think I am gonna work on that and hopefully by the time I am done maybe that quilt will tell me what it needs. You are so right an allover curvy something is a good option. In any case it will be at the next retreat so you can see it. It was the class you did for us in 2016.

MelRN

Aug-28

i'm finishing up that 30's quilt top. I've been having back pain so my progress is slow..It's very sunshine-y, a yellow buttercup as the background and cheerful floral 30 repros as the foreground, in shoe fly and snowball pattern. :D 

I've spent that last several sorting through my novelty stash and doing some summer cleaning.  It's long, so I made a blog post.

https://deeintex.blogspot.com/

Great blog post!  I have been putting off doing some cutting myself.  This inspires me.  I really like the cutting part, thinking about each fabric and planning ways to use them.  I need to JUST DO IT.  LOL  

Those small triangles are very useful for making string blocks, placing them in the corners before choosing the strings you are going to use -- so that you don't end up with a piece in the corner of the block that is TOO tiny when the block is trimmed.