Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 504347 views.

Oh my word, look at that scrumptious thread.  I got rid of most of my embroidery thread thinking I wouldn’t use it. Now I am quilting with rulers and slowly replacing the thread collection! Your color wheels are amazing. 

Texas flag quilt almost done.  I am deciding whether I want to quilt it before attaching the star or not.  This is a commission quilt and honestly I've already spent too much time on it, I decided to add two more rows/columns to make it bigger since I had enough fabric and that cost some time.  Now I'm not sure how involved I need to get on the quilting.  Do I do an all over design, even over the star?  Do I change thread colors, etc etc.  so I'm going to spend this evening practicing some quilting ideas, hoping that will help me decide.

I think it would be great to just put horizontal wavy lines in the white and red sections, and maybe echo quilting for the star section.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-27

Jonna & I are thinking along the same lines!    wavy lines!

Or, what about point to point lines, echoing the outline of the star ... put the lines about 1" apart?

Here are my Incredibles - photo taken a few years ago (Mateo is now 12 years old).  One of my favorite pictures of them.  #grandmalove 

hmm, I like your idea better.  Especially when I consider the thread color.  really don't want red in the white & visa versa.  

Since I am in New Mexico for a few days I brought some handwork. I got a label put on a recent finish. I have not put labels on my finishes the last couple of years and am challenging myself to fix that situation. I also handsewed the binding to one side of a queen-sized quilt. Yesterday I did some prep work on a pictorial quilt that is screaming to be finished. 

I decided to sign up for a long arm class (online) on freemotion/edge to edge designs.  So I'm working through the exercises & experimenting.  I had always thought my machine could not sew right to left, but one of the patterns that I really liked worked best that way.  So I started experimenting.  Changing the thread worked, until I tried to do one of my I spy quilts on fleece.  Today I got some ballpoint needles to try.  Based on the test sample that seems to have worked.  I'm very excited to be able to go back and forth - what a big time saver.  This is only the 2nd sewing class I've ever taken (since 8th grade home ec) and so far I am learning a lot.  I'm sure the teacher is going to get tired of me, I'm the chattiest person in the group so far.  blush

judyinohio

Oct-30

How exciting for you to find a class where you are learning new skills from a teacher who is tolerating your enthusiasm. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-30

It's wonderful when the class you're taking actually teaches you new things!  When you have the time, do tell us about the things you are learning.