Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How to translate a page of instructions into English   General Discussion

Started Dec-1 by sueinIL; 796 views.
sueinIL

Dec-1

I found a knitted cable scarf pattern on Pinterest (it's what I do in the evenings).  Unfortunately, for me,  it's written in Russian,  I know there are translation systems out there, but I'm not sure how to use one.  Do you go first to, say, Google Translation?  Then what do you do to the page of instructions?  Or do you pull up the pattern page, and then go to GT?  I hope someone can help me; I'd really like to print out the instructions for a split cable scarf.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

Assuming the page does not have other language "versions" you can choose.

Go to the page you want to translate.  Select the text you want to translate, or just CTRL A (to select everything on the page) and CTRL C (to copy the part you have selected).

Then go to the Google Translate PAGE.  You will see an option for inserting text into the box, so put your cursor there and CTRL V (to paste everything you just copied).

Be sure you have the correct language options selected at the top of the boxes - i.e. use the little drop-down arrow to select the language, or if you're not sure, click on "Detect language."  Then click on TRANSLATE.

When the results appear in the other box, you should be able to copy them out and paste into a new Word document - and SAVE that on your computer somewhere.

NOTE:  We have used this in our law office to translate documents in Spanish, Portuguese, etc.  But it is not always an EXACT translation.  So just beware of that in the case of instructions or patterns.  But it should be good enough to tell you what you need to know.

Hope this helps.

bornblesse2

Dec-1

What language is it in?  I haven’t really done that before, but I have done some translating.  Some sight translate word for word.  But you will want one that translates phrases and sentences.....

try googling ... translating (language) directions to English.

see if you get a sight that works.   Let us know!

sueinIL

Dec-1

Thank you!  I think I can do that!

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Dec-1

It's in Russian.  JDO just gave me step-by-step instructions to try.  Going to do that now.

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Dec-1

Oh good!  I was hoping someone had more experience than me!   

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Dec-1

On the Google translate page, you should be able to put in the URL of the webpage that you're on and it's  supposed to translate most if not all of it. This is really helpful on blogs that have lots of buttons and things when you can't figure out which section is which. But if the buttons on the blog are static images instead of text of course it can't translate that. 

https://translate.google.com/m/translate

sueinIL

Dec-1

Misha, I tried using the URL, but it kept coming back as an error message.  I have been able (by following JDO's steps) to print out a translataion, but a whole lot gets lost, maybe idioms or something untranslatable. It's really rough.  Maybe I can find it already translated on pinterest.  Is there anyone here who can translate Russian?

Sue in IL

Yes, on the Google Translate page, you can either type in TEXT or a URL into the box, or you can click on the link to "translate a document," which allows you to upload an entire document to be translated.  In that case, you need to have the document saved to your local hard drive so you can browse and select it.

We have to do that all the time.  You can imagine legal documents in a foreign language!  

https://translate.google.com  

sueinIL

Dec-1

JDO, Your instructions worked just fine, but the translation is pretty rough. Maybe I can find the pattern on Pinterest in a translated form.  Thank you for your help--at least I have now something to work from!

Sue in IL