Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

block name?   General Discussion

Started Feb-4 by Mel Harris (MelHarris1); 646 views.

What is this block called? I've seen it in a lot of quilts over the years but now I can't find the name...

3" mini quilt civil war reproduction blocks

Hmm, what is that one?  It's similar to "Bird in the Air," only BITA has a HST where the small square is.  Hmm ... thinking.

Teresa DownUnder calls this "Split Four Patch," but you know how quilt blocks are -- sometimes they go by other names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1VPiIuhb0 

judyinohio

Feb-5

Used the Barbara Brackman "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" (published in 1993) to try to find this block and it was not helpful  which was surprising to me.

Here is first page (with the simplest diagonal blocks) in "diagonal blocks" section of her book and  you can see that your block is not shown.  (Dratted Delphi twisted my photo and I cannot remember Ellen's trick for rotating it.)  There is a second page but it shows more complex blocks with multiple pieces so I'm not bothering to share that one ..

Anyhow, the idea I'm trying to get across is that the block you are asking about probably is not an "old-timey" block but instead is a modern one created by some up-to-date teacher like Alex Anderson or maybe Jennie from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

P.S.  Ellen to the rescue and she enabled me to come back and flip the photo in the correct orientation.

• Edited February 5, 2021 5:00 pm  by  judyinohio

She has a clever way of making it, too!! Thank you :D 

Thanks for trying, Judy! It's bothering me I can't find it. And the pin I had (pinterest) was just to instagram...kim diehl (so repro CW fabric stuff, etc)

Ah, searching from there, I find "shaded four patch"!! Lots of quilts with them. Thank you again :D 

Yeah, "shaded 4 patch" or "split 4 patch" - neither one of those names really makes sense to me for that block - hah!  But I guess all we need to know is what other people call it, so we can look it up.  ha

bornblesse2

Feb-5

Judy, Ellen trick is to click on the picture after uploading it and it will give me an option to rotate the picture!

lol, I’m tickled that I could share a technology tip as I am not that great with it.

judyinohio

Feb-5

Thank you, Ellen!

• Edited February 5, 2021 4:59 pm  by  judyinohio