Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

yahoo, anyone here?   General Discussion

Started Feb-8 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1534 views.
latterberry

Feb-9

I am really sorry to hear this. And you are a lady that is usually o the go.  I'm glad you are feeling well enough to stitch for awhile and hope you have a lovely time at the wedding.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

That is AMAZING that you can reliably go back to the 1500s!

On my Dad's side, I hit a brick wall at the mid-1800s because I can't find emigration/immigration records.

On my Mom's side,  I can go back to the specific German town in the 1770s.

latterberry

Feb-9

I did my very best to follow marriage and birth records and th English seem to be quite meticulous about record keeping.  I'm not saying that this is 100% correct,  but I am pretty sure.  The German part of my dad's side hit the brick wall early too.  His great grandpa immigrated and I have all that, but before that if I do find any records, they are in German and that's no help.

Suze (casuzenn)

Feb-9

latterberry said:

The German part of my dad's side hit the brick wall early too.  His great grandpa immigrated and I have all that, but before that if I do find any records, they are in German and that's no help.

the script is beautiful....but it is hard to decipher!! I have some of my ancestors birth and marriage records - it helps that I know who they are! 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-9

The ONLY reason I have the 1700s German town is because my aunt (Mom's sister) paid a professional genealogist to trace the family from Russia back to their German origins.   And he did.  I have the most incredible (and convoluted!) family tree diagram.  It's simply priceless.

latterberry

Feb-10

Poncho Villa?  How cool is that!  Maybe not blood, but interesting family history.

latterberry

Feb-10

I think it is great that you are working so hard on your interesting and convoluted family history,  You have been working hard and what a legacy to leave for your kids.  My two boys could care less but at least my DD is interested in it.  

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-10

judyinohio said:

we non-Retreaters are here

I know you don't travel but we love for you to come...........

I've been busy trying to settle my brother's estate since October.  I must admit that I haven't quilted or been on the forum as much as usual.  I'm not on FB any more and I love "talking" to everyone here. 

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Feb-10

Apparently I am a descendent of Captain Christopher Newport, captain of the Susan Constant, one of the founders of Jamestown etc. Just discovered that maybe two years or so ago when Dad was doing some ancestry stuff and found a connection. I’m trying to remember, I think he’s my 11x great grandfather?

It's difficult to think about that many generations.  My mothers mother got into the ancestry stuff for a while, not sure where all that went, probably my aunt has it.  I remember her showing me the indenture papers for my grandfather's father or grandfather (?) when he came over from Germany as a young man/boy.  I remember it being very old yellow and fragile.  I must have been 10 or 12 at the time and didn't understand why she was so excited about something that wasn't even her family.  And being adopted and young I didn't get it at all.  blush  Being adopted kind of makes you feel a bit adrift sometimes.  You belong to your adopted family but not exactly.