Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

yahoo, anyone here?   General Discussion

Started Feb-8 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1545 views.
Midkid5

Feb-11

Those working on ancestry stuff, what are your thoughts on sharing details of a murder?  I have paperwork detailing the murder of our youngest and favorite aunt almost forty years ago thinking of sharing it on ancestry.

Jo

Hi, Jo.  I am not currently working on ancestry stuff, though I have done in the past.  My oldest nephew has taken up those efforts on behalf of the family, and I am glad, because I do not have the time to do it these days.  

But as a follower of true crime cases, with an interest in forensics and related subjects, I would say at least get all of your facts, thoughts and opinions down in writing.  And I would vote YES for sharing it on Ancestry.  Does everyone in your family know the facts and the story(ies) behind the case?  Is it a solved case, or a "cold" case?  Was it a highly publicized case?  Those might be important questions to consider before you do share it with the rest of the world.  If I were a family member, even not having known the relative who was murdered, I would still want to know.  Family history is not always tidy and proper, but it's still your family history.  Especially because you have paperwork with the details, and it's not just a story you heard but don't have facts to back it up.  That information needs to be preserved somewhere.  I think it's a good idea.  Good luck.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-11

wow ... a murder.   That's a tough one.

Was it solved?   Were the details of the case publicly available (to anyone who might be looking)?    If so, then it would be of interest to other family historians ... your family, even the perpetrator's family maybe.  You can certainly talk about details that are already known about the case.  You can certainly share/vent your feelings on how your aunt's death adversely impacted the family and how much she is missed.  I think you'd need to be careful, though, in voicing your opinions that are not backed up by facts .... false accusations and libel, ya know?   Stuff like "I know that John Doe was accused of my beloved aunt's murder but I firmly believe that he had an accomplice, Joe Smith, who was never charged."   Publicly saying that sort of thing might get YOU in big trouble, legally.  So, do be careful in how and what you say publicly.

Since you do have the paperwork and the details, you can scan those documents, put them on Ancestry and then link to those documents to back you up .. so *you* are not accused of being inflammatory.   And, of course, properly preserve the original documents!  

In Ancestry, are you aware the Notes and Comments sections for a person?  You can write virtually unlimited stuff about a person there.  One is public and one is private .... and I can never remember which is which.  If you had opinions about the murder but nothing specifically to back you up .. just your own personal feelings on the topic or questions you might have or suppositions/doubts that you want to write down, you could do that in the private section.  That way, what you're thinking is preserved but not publicly.

If you are creating  a physical album for your own family, then you can put whatever you doggone want in it.  It's not being published and it's more like a diary ...your own thoughts about an event.

Midkid5

Feb-11

The murder was solved. How much attention did it recieve, that I don't know since it took place in TX.  It's just sad as she really wanted to help this young individual.

Jo

bornblesse2

Feb-11

My husband has a cousin that was brutally murdered many years ago.  It hasn’t been until recently that we have had more details about it.  It was a horrible thing....

but I don’t know anything about ancestry and relaying details. I do know that hearing a bit of the details helped us understand the reactions and responses of that side of the family a bit more.

viola (sissly4)

Feb-12

Well Wednesday I went out after a week I went and got my driver's license renewed which they had expired in August and I went to a friend's house she's moving next week and she gave me a lot of her thread because she used to sew and then I went to the grocery store and I almost fell out in the parking lot again I grabbed myself at the car else I would have gone down good thing I had my brace on today I went out and had lunch with the gals there was six of us and then I went and got a haircut because tomorrow is the wedding of my granddaughter I'm really not going to be doing any kind of sewing all Summer Long I will be doing something else I still can't let the cat out of the bag so keep listening one of these days I'll let that cat out

Viola I wonder what you are up to. Glad you got some time out to see friends. Enjoy the wedding tomorrow. 

viola (sissly4)

Feb-13

Ami stay tuned and you will hear the rest of the story

Viola, you must be channeling Paul Harvey!  We are waiting to hear.  

viola (sissly4)

Feb-14

Thank Juliet.I could not remember what the guy name was that said that.But remember what he said after the end.