Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Big Dream panel - quilting   General Discussion

Started Feb-8 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 1143 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-8

There is a printed panel available called Dream Big.  It's a close-up of a big petaled flower.  The original idea was to quilt a different motif in every petal or every round of petals.  The results have been simply outstanding and breathtaking.  Most people leave the panel as-is, i.e. no borders, but I've recently seen a picture where the quilter put a kinda/sorta Drunkards Path as a border around it and it was unbelievably effective!

I know that Mishii has done a couple.  I have a couple that are still unquilted.

Recently, over on another forum (MeWe's "Quilting Time"), a member, Susan Cline, recently posted her completed Dream Big.  Hers is in shades of gray and she quilted it in RED.  HOLY MOLEY!  Such a bold move!  

She did a different quilting motif in every round of petals.  The motifs she chose are not particularly intricate or difficult but I think she achieved exactly the right note of density and varied designs.  In the first round of petals, the design resulted in quite a build-up of thread at the end of the petal closest to the center.  The concentration of color is AMAZING.   I honestly would never have thought of doing that, mostly because with highly contrasting thread, you need to be Very Careful and sure of your quilting!

I just love what she's done.

In reply toRe: msg 2
judyinohio

Feb-8

If any forum member has read Pirate's posting and has the urge to give the Dream Big panels a whirl I have two of them that are looking for a new home. Reimburse me for the postage and they are yours.

I had big ambitions (once upon a time) but the pacemaker/defibrillator implant has made working at my HQ Avante a no-go situation because the magnet gets my implant a bit excited.  As you can see by the photo my colors for these panels are ivory-beige and yellow-orange-red.

Contact me using PM through the forum.

bornblesse2

Feb-8

That is very nicely done!  I like it....

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-8

judyinohio said:

but the pacemaker/defibrillator implant has made working at my HQ Avante a no-go situation because the magnet gets my implant a bit excited. 

OH NO!  That's AWFUL.   Judy, I feel so badly for you.  What a horrid disappointment that you can't use your Avante any longer.  :-(

Too bad you can't rig up a shield of sorts, either around the magnet in the Avante or around your torso .. kinda like Kevlar vests ... to deflect the magnet effects.

Mishii

Feb-8

Oh I’m absolutely doing this next time. Love it!

judyinohio

Feb-8

I mentioned the issue when I went in for my three month follow up at the pacemaker clinic and the technician looked at me like he had never heard of such a problem before. He agreed that if this piece of sewing equipment made my pacemaker "buzz" with a "tingling" sensation then I should avoid it. 

Yeah, thanks, dude.  unamused

In reply toRe: msg 6
judyinohio

Feb-8

Mishii is the lucky winner in my give-away.

• Edited February 8, 2021 9:53 pm  by  judyinohio
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Feb-8

judyinohio said:

I mentioned the issue when I went in for my three month follow up

obviously, I totally missed it.  Must not have been wearing my glasses.  :-(