Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Whee - snowing in North Texas   Off-Topic Chat

Started Feb-10 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1643 views.

it's gotten more popular lately with all the paranoia.  enough said.

judyinohio

Feb-10

Ohio houses have basements to shelter in when tornadoes come. 

Didn't you live in Ohio at one time? You should be aware of our homes with basements with gravity furnaces and handy places for storing jars of jam and jellies, not to mention Christmas stuff and other goodies.

I loved your basement - all the ROOOOOM!  Of course my husband would find a way to fill it up regardless.smile

Well, I actually lived in a high-rise dorm for older students, on the campus of The Ohio State University.  

I've been obsessed with a certain house in Colorado where a terrible crime took place.  Still, every time they show photos of inside the house, I just drool over the HUGE basement.  The case is SO notorious, they have not been able to sell the house, which is a very nice one.  

I would love to have a basement, but you know, not many houses in Texas have a basement - unless you are building your own house and include that in the plans.  I guess more newer bespoke houses have them, but not many existing houses in Texas have them.  

judyinohio

Feb-10

Yeah, I'm sure if you come from the part of the US with no need for basements ours must have been shockingly huge. (It's 2800 square feet for those who are curious, same size as the house.)  DH wanted to have lots of room for his woodworking shops and he was in hog heaven down there for many years.

judyinohio

Feb-10

Oh, I knew you spent time at OSU but I assumed you would have had time to visit people who lived in normal homes.

judyinohio

Feb-10

Sometimes in a case like that the house will be torn down and then the empty lot can be sold.

Yes, I do not know what the hold-up is.  It might have something to do with the wishes of the victims' surviving family members, but I don't think any of them have a financial interest - or any other interest - in purchasing it.  I believe it is now owned by the bank who held the mortgage.  There are many true crime "geeks" (for lack of a better word) who would love to purchase it, but there are also those who believe it is haunted or cursed.  It has also been suggested that the house be demolished and replaced with a memorial park, but in that case, there might be issues with the neighborhood association.  I don't know how much say any of the neighbors would have, if any, but can you imagine how it might have affected their property values and lots of increased traffic in the area?  If I were a person who wanted the house and didn't think it too spooky or depressing to live there, then you would have to deal with all the drive-by traffic of people coming to gawk, leave flowers and teddy bears, and even wanting to stop, get a tour, take photos, etc. 

The bank may ultimately decide to tear it down and sell the empty lot, but it's only been two years since the murders, and they may be willing to wait it out for another few years before they do anything like that.