Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Whee - snowing in North Texas   Off-Topic Chat

Started Feb-10 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1608 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Feb-11

Midkid5 said...

Air temp here in eastern ND at 9 am is a negative 13, with wind at 12 mph making a feels like -35 degrees.  We have been in the deep freeze for ten day and they are talk another week.  Most days have been sunny so it makes it easier on the mind

Oh Jo!!!  That was the main reason my Dad was glad his family chose to move to CA when he was just 7yo so he wouldn't live in the very cold world up there.  Stay warm and safe inside!!!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Feb-11

Kim D. (KIMDIG) said...

Looks funny to see it snowing with water in the pool.

It sure does Kim!  LOL

Mishii

Feb-11

LABFIEND said:

Yeah, well that wouldn't work as well as the shed. 

That was how we made a windbreak for the shed. We had a run in in the pasture and the wind is wicked in west Texas. So if it was blowing in from the east, we made a windbreak. 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-11

LABFIEND said:

Wish I was in Phoenix now!!

Looks like the highs are going to be in the 70's during retreat.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Feb-11

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

But I can push if I need to.  He is the one that wants to move, not me.  so I have lots of leverage.  

Oh boy!  Hope you can get your new house built w/o hating one another.

judyinohio

Feb-11

Yeah, their situation does sound unpleasant, doesn't it?

In our case building a house was very stressful and I am glad I only had to do it once with my DH. My joke at the time was "Only one house per husband" which was my sarcastic way of letting him know "Never again". He was  happy, happy, happy over all the choices that had to be made (floor tile, carpeting, etc. etc.) and I did not want to think about the dozens of choices involved. Give me five choices of floor tile and I'll pick one. Show me two hundred kinds of floor tiles and I'll get a migraine and want to go to bed for a week.  LOL

Light fixtures? I'm paralyzed for a month!

Can you tell I am not a person who likes to shop?

• Edited February 11, 2021 10:33 pm  by  judyinohio

Well interesting, we talked tonight and he agreed about hiring a general contractor! Quite easily. Surprised it was so easy.

Qualifications, nothing formal just around the trades growing up, his dad did plumbing and electrical, thoughnot licensed. Lots of opinions about how things should be done, construction methods, quality etc. Design not so much. Actually the plan he has come up with is pretty good. A few things are a little unusual but are a result of the site. I think he is contacting a couple of people about construction drawings tomorrow.

LABFIEND

Feb-12

Mishii said:

he wind is wicked in west Texas.

Oklahoma too! I can't imagine the pioneers living here in sod houses and covered wagons.  Uggh!

judyinohio

Feb-12

Could he be getting older and wiser?  Why the change of attitude?

Does he want the house built quickly so he can move in and get to play with the 17 acres (or whatever it is?) on his tractor.

possibly.  But he was talking about it just last week.  Maybe the fall out of the attic on Saturday knocked some sense in.  Regardless he is being very amenable right now, I think he is surprised I am willing to move out there.  He doesn't have a tractor yet but I'm sure that is on the list of purchases. wink