Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

using up scraps   Show and Tell

Started Mar-19 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 401 views.

Here are a couple of scrap quilts I have been working on (in between the I spy quilts).  I always seem to have lots and lots of odds & ends when fussy cutting and have a small drawer to toss them in.  I had been sewing most of them into piano key borders but I had so many long strips of these I decided to make a quilt from them.  It ended up looking more like a string quilt than anything but that's ok.  And as it turns out, it has all the letters of the alphabet too.

This idea came from Jordan Fabrics called Jagged X.  I also want to make one of these from some noodles I inherited (down the road).  But this one was made from left overs that were too big for the piano key drawer.  the cut size is 2.5 x 3.5 then trimmed to 2.5 x 4.5.  I marked the diagonal on a ruler to help me trim them consistently.  But because you aren't matching the diagonal to anything the pattern is very forgiving.  The hardest part was remembering which way to sew the diagonal to keep them leaning the same way.  Very fun pattern to make, fast & easy.

Those are both great scrap busters. I am currently focusing on UFO's but think I need to get a leader ender project going for some scrap bin control. I think I have 3 large scrap bins now. I have made so many quilts from my scrap bins and they just keep growing. I find I use them the most when I sort them by color and it has been some time since I have done that.

I have another one going that is a "leader/ender" project involving 16 patches (4 blocks of 4 patches - finished at 4").  I find I get impatient with the leader/ender concept and want to just work on that.  I chain piece as much as I can so that means the leader/enders don't get sewn frequently.  I think I'm close to enough 4x4 patches now (last time I checked I was only half way) so that will likely be the next one finished.

they may look that way but they weren't.  here is the jagged x block.  pretty simple but makes a great secondary pattern when combined.  Love those kinds of blocks - kind of like the treat in the cracker jack box.

and here is a close up of the inspiration for the other, except instead of a solid triangle on the corners I used more piano keys - kind of wish I had used the solid instead

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-19

Great job, Dee!   The first one looks like a mindless sewing project ... you want to be sewing something but don't have anything lined up at the time.

The second one would require a bit more concentration but still yields a great looking quilt!

thanks.  Yup definitely mindless.  I still have enough piano keys for one small quilt border but certainly much decreased for the shoebox full I had when I started. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-19

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I still have enough piano keys for one small quilt border but certainly much decreased for the shoebox full I had when I started. 

Just wait until darkness falls.  That's when all the shenanigans start and they multiply.  :-)

judyinohio

Mar-19

Especially in the springtime of the year ....